Wednesday, October 07, 2009

A Short and Senseless Rant

We got into trouble financially... part of which is my fault directly. Instead of sitting around whining about it and worrying about whether or not we're going to lose our home, I got a second job tending bar at a sports pub. As far as second jobs go, it's relatively easy and the location is close to home. But working until closing really, REALLY sucks because I still have my REGULAR job to get up for. But I feel better doing SOMETHING about our situation and in that sense, the sacrifice is worth it.

We were so worried about our youngest child having to attend the middle school we're zoned for, because our middle daughter barely survived it with her sanity. Our youngest was already at risk for all kinds of school-related problems and we searched for a solution that would meet her needs AND our seriously limited budget. Lo! And Behold! She was accepted into a new charter middle school (not a new program, but a new campus) that seems like a dream come true both academically and socially for her. The only problem is that it's in the next city to the West of us and there is no transportation available. She's much too young to take public transportation that far. So, rather than give up hope, I organized a carpool group. Now, I drive my daughter and three other children to the school M-W-F morning and both ways on the Fridays I'm off work. Round trip from my house to the school and back again is an hour, sometimes more if the traffic is especially bad. On carpool days, I don't get to work until 9:30 am, and have to work until 7 pm. So, on top of having a second job, my regular work day has been extended by two hours (because my day still starts at the same time as before, it just doesn't start AT WORK) and at least 2.5 hours of my days off are spent in the car with carpool duty.

Needless to say, I'm exhausted.

I don't want to extend my little self-pity party longer than it takes to write this, but I REALLY have to mention that I think walking in the door of my home at 8 pm Monday night after a 12 and 1/2 hour day after 4 hours of sleep after a 10 hour night at the bar and expecting to NOT have to MAKE DINNER is reasonable. I have to say that I felt an instant of almost unbearable rage when I walked in to see MSU on the floor watching Monday Night Football and seeing no evidence of any dinner -either prepared or devoured - in sight. I also must admit that when MSU looked up at me from the floor and said, "Hi! Hey, what's for dinner?" I was THIS CLOSE to drawing my weapon and shooting him right there in the living room.

But I didn't. I made dinner so everyone could eat.

But I'm not happy about it. Poor me.

Okay. Rant complete. Moving on.

2 comments:

David said...

I'll decline most of my comment citing the "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all" clause.

Your rant is justified. Your ability to shoulder responsibility is amazing (though I think it's too much at times). Your willingness to accept others trying to be "who they are" seems to equal you being overworked and under appreciated. :(

Jen said...

I agree with David.
You're taking on too much but it's your way. I wish you had more appreciation, the appreciation you deserve!

I'm telling you, you need to move out here. I'd help you with the carpool and I make a mean dinner.
*hug*