I've been busier than usual this month, or at least I feel more exhausted than usual this month. And money has been an issue for several weeks... seems like I have all the money in the world "on its way," but no money in my pocket or bank accounts. MSU's per diem paycheck is over 60 days overdue and each person we talk to says the same thing: "We'll cut the check Thursday." 8 Thursdays have come and gone - no check. I won $1000 on a lottery "scratcher," but have to wait three weeks to get it from Sacramento. There is another $800 check "in the mail," but who knows when that will show up. I'm sure it has to travel through Zimbabwe first. In the meantime, my cupboards are bare and my credit cards maxed out. Trying to figure out how I'm going to make a dinner for five out of one small bag of pasta, Lemon-Dill sauce, and freezer-burned baby carrots is exhausting in and of itself.
Last Thursday evening (7-10-08) MSU was broadsided on his motorcycle by a young lady who ran a red light. She was traveling about 40 miles per hour and didn't brake or try to swerve or take any evasive action whatsoever. My guess is that she was texting while driving, because she honestly didn't know that the light was red. MSU was taken via ambulance to Grossmont Hospital, where they took xrays and did emergency reparative surgery on his left hand. By the grace of all Divine, the extent of his injuries is life-changing, but not life threatening. His right shoulder is separated and he broke his thumb at the base joint. See cool x-ray photos below:


The young lady in question is insured and her insurance company has already accepted liability. The bike is totalled and our insurance company has already paid off the loan and towed it to the salvage yard. We are going to speak to a lawyer on Monday. In the meantime, MSU is the No-Armed Man, though he's finally getting a little more range of motion out of his shoulder. His thumb will never work correctly again (if at all) and he has a lifetime of arthritis to look forward to. Seems a small price to pay for such a horrific accident - but then again, had actually DRIVING the car that she was navigating through the city streets of El Cajon, California been the young lady's FIRST priority, MSU would have full use of both arms, both hands, and his beloved Ultra.
Today, I am at work. I haven't slept in 8 days. The No-Armed Man absconded (well, sort of) with my Nimble German Car last night and came home hours later drunk off his ass and barely able to walk. Then commenced 4 straight hours of vomiting every ten minutes or so. I'm not looking for a medal - after all this is a marriage and that's what all those promises are about - but I'm a little miffed that I just spent the last week dressing him, wiping his ass, bathing him, and doing EVERYTHING in the house (not to mention still going to work for part of every day), and he then chooses to endanger himself, others, my vehicle, and our home and livelihoods by refusing to call me to pick him up after drinking too much and being doubly impaired by the non-working condition of both arms. We've had the discussion over and over again. I'll drive to LA at 3 am to pick him up if that's what it takes to keep him from driving under the influence. My guess is that the ungrateful fool doesn't give a flying fuck about me - otherwise he'd take a little more interest in protecting the life that we've made. After all, when he's dead or in jail, it's ME that's going to have to pick up the pieces of that WHOLLY AVOIDABLE poor decision.
Next week will be better. I just know it.
2 comments:
I had a feeling things were not going as planned :((
Money problems SUCK!! At least you have some hope that 'the check is in the mail'. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
I hate to hear about the MSU. I hope his injuries heal better than expected. I have no doubt that you stepped-up and made the whole experience as pleasant for him as possible. As for the rest... I'm not sure what to say. How much stress can one person accept? You're going to kill yourself if you don't get someone to take some of it off of you.
Despite your heroic efforts, YOU CAN'T DO IT ALL. And while I believe you are willing to die trying, that won't do anybody any good.
I wish I had some great advise for you but despite how hard or how long I type on this keyboard none seems to come out. :(
If I can do something, let me know.
*hug*
WoW!
How did I miss this blog...?!
*scratches head*
The money thing always sucks. Horribly. I hate money. I give you lots of long distance money-hating hugs!
As for MSU, scary shit!! Glad that he still has a head. Arthritis sucks, and it's a HUGE bummer that he's laid up, but as you said - it could have been a lot worse!
It's disappointing that after the accident he felt it was okay to set out with the possibility of taking someone else's arm away. Or head. Drinking and driving = stupid, useless and easily avoidable.
I've been VERY bad about that in the past but there comes a time when you have to grow up...
I wish I could do something for you! Too bad you don't live closer...
*hug*
Post a Comment