David wrote: "Another sad ending to what's become a WAY too typical story. As hard as I try, I'll never begin to understand where these monsters think they get the right to ruin so many lives for a few moments of self-gratification. The only conclusion I can reach is pure evil does exist and it walks among us in all shapes and forms."
As I responded, I realized that this comment fits in with previous posts that will eventually (hopefully) find a more productive venue (once fleshed out and more supported). So I decided to post it as an entry rather than a comment:
We ALL justify our moments of self-gratification to one degree or another. Mine just don't involve a compulsion that requires violence, force, and/or fear.
The sad truth is that we don't have very good luck in rehabilitative efforts with adult sexual offenders. In general, the best we can hope for is management - and that requires a commitment on the offender's part to continue with therapy even when not Court-compelled to do so, adherence to the developed safety plan (a requirement for SO cognitive reconstruction, and continued accountability (even if limited) to the Court. It may surprise you to know that most sex offenders required to register DO make that commitment, and DO manage their own behaviors with the help and support of friends, family, and qualified professionals. It may also surprise you to know that the majority of registered sex offenders are not "child molesters" in the commonly-used definition of the term.
Unfortunately, there will always be that percentage of persons with dangerous compulsions who do not make the commitment, either because they don't want to or because they just can't.
So, statistically, supervision isn't the problem OR the solution. Management isn't the problem OR the solution. Treatment isn't the problem OR the solution. Laws aren't the problem OR the solution. And every time we, as voters, enact harsher punishments and more requirements for sex offenders, we are demonstrating a knee-jerk reaction that affects ALL persons in this category despite the fact that the ones we actually FEAR are a miniscule percentage of that whole.
What IS the problem, then? And what is the solution?
Again, more to come on this. Lots more.
Thursday, March 04, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I agree with what you're saying here. I'll be interested in reading more but I'll be honest, I don't think there is a good answer.
In my opinion, all we can do is defend ourselves from people who's self-gratification intrudes into our lives. If we leave it up to them we have already lost.
We must be vigilant, prepared and willing to take action. They must know that we, as a society, are willing to do whatever it takes to thwart their attempts to destroy our lives for their own gratification.
Are we doing that now? I don't think that's the message being sent by the courts, the gun control crowd and groups like the ACLU. While we can't stop them all, we can do better than trying to teach a fox to live peacefully among the hens... that approach just ain't going to work.
Well said David. I agree 100%.
The danger, just isn't worth the risk.
Why should they get a second, or third, or even fourth chance when many victims do not.
I'm sorry, but I'm honestly a believer in capital punishment, when there is no doubt whatsoever, who is guilty of a violent crime.
Mom D.
Well said Daughtter of the night. Your writing never ceases to amaze me. Having law enforcement experience yourself gives your opinion great credibility
Post a Comment