So, my daughter's softball team went to the championship and lost in a very close game. My daughter smacked the holy hell out of their pitcher and was responsible for two of the three runs across the plate. She also played at one position (catcher) the entire season, in EVERY game. Despite the complete lack of REAL coaching, the team managed to come together and make some amazing plays and demonstrate some growth. And my baby got at least one hit in every game but two, threw out atttempted base steals at second and third fairly consistently, and prevented at least one run in every game. I'm very proud of what she was able to accomplish with very little coaching (besides what she got at home and from my humble place in the stands) and a lot of inconsistent yelling.
And the Evil Softball Wench from Hell? Well, it started off bad and just got worse as the season progressed. She managed to 1) find a way to make an appeal in every game, 2) piss off every single parent of every single team member and every other coach, 3) take a team to the championship without any real knowledge of the game or skills of her own (not to mention no coaching and all yelling), 4) make a girl cry in every game and almost every practice, and 5) vote only the daughters of Board Members into the All-Star team.
The All-Star coach picked my daughter as the ONLY catcher for the 8 and under All-Star team. Evil Softball Wench from Hell (also the wife of the League President and Board Member in her own "right") vetoed the ENTIRETY of his "pick list," but relented when it came to the children of other Board members. When told by the All-Star coach that he did not see another catcher in the entire division that he wanted, she told him, "I don't care if you have a catcher or not. You'll take her over my dead body."
Don't think for a second that it wasn't tempting, my friends.
Thursday, May 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Too bad they don't make phasers yet,
oooooh the joy of choosing what setting to put it on, even stun would be fun, over and over.
Dear Evil Softball Wench from Hell,
I t has come to my understanding that the All-Star coach had requested my daughter be his catcher on the All-Star team. It was also brought to my attention that you were very much against her being chosen, to the point that she is not on the team because of you. It has been clear since the beginning of the season that you have had a personal gripe against me. Due to this fact, I decided, for the for the good of all involved, to relegate myself to the sidelines. That way the children wouldn't have to be distracted by our personal feelings.
Apparently my actions weren't enough as you now deny my child what she has rightfully earned. I have to ask you how you justify your decision? What reason could you possible have against a child, any child, to be so cruel? This program was designed to allow children to experience sports, build confidence and shape character. In what way have you contributed to these goals? In fact you have done just the opposites. You have taught my child that ability and a good work ethic mean nothing and that it's not what you do that counts but who you know. I can only hope that someday you realize that this organization was formed for children to benefit the children, not for you or me.
I'm sure you get comments and letters like this all the time. As I'm equally sure you shrug them of as part of coaching and sports. I hope you take the time to give this one some serious thought. Children crying at every game and practice is not normal. Keeping children from reaching their highest potential is damaging. Using children to wage personal wars is unconscionable. I sent my daughter to play softball this season, I have to ask, what game were you playing?
Extremely disappointed,
Mom
I would send this letter to the coach and all the board members.
My brothers children went through the exact same thing in middle school baseball this year. His twin boys, 12 years old, sat on the bench of the championship game and watched as their team lost. Both their batting averages were in the 6 and 7 hundreds, among the highest on the team. One, a catcher was the only catcher on the team who could throw someone out at second base. Why didn't they play you wonder? Because the coach coached a traveling team and he played the kids that were on his other team. Including his son that had tons of errors and one hit all year long.
I do not look forward to youth sports :( and my heart goes out to your daughter.
HB: You got that right! The unfortunate truth is that it wouldn't make a bit of difference - it would only kill more brain cells and make her more stupid.
RT: I thought about a letter. I thought about a petition (EVERYONE hates her, it's not just me). But I think I'll just take my daughter to a different league for the regular season next year and take her to a coastal team for Winterball. And when the League calls to ask why she hasn't returned (which they will), I will tell them.
AND - I'll coach a team of my own next year. In her division.
:-)
Post a Comment