Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Haunting

I used to have a recurring nightmare that stemmed from three seperate events that somehow became melded in my mind. The events took place years apart from each other, and have been a part of my psyche - and my night time journeys into my subconscious - ever since.

I had The Dream again last night... for the first time in more than 15 years. It stays with me even now - the stench of it surrounds me and I am fighting the urge (for the fiftieth time today) to run into the shower and scrub my skin raw.


Without too much detail, I'll share the events that created The Dream:

I was working the night shift at NAS North Island, and had to stay late on the night in question, though I don't remember why. My route home took me over the Coronado Bay Bridge, and as I began my ascent to the summit I noticed that someone was standing in the outside lane near the center of the bridge. It took a few seconds to register, and when it did, I pulled over next to one of the call boxes on either side of the bridge and used it. Then I walked up.

He was still standing there, very still. He wasn't startled at my approach; he didn't tell me to get away from him or run away or even look in my direction. He just stood, looking out over the water, colorful with reflected light and dark promise.

I stood there silently for a while, not knowing if I should speak or what I could possibly say. Helplessly, I finally asked, "Are you going to jump?"

He said, "I don't know."

I said, "It's cold and windy and I've always been scared of this bridge. I'm not going to stay here very long."

He said, rather comically, "Don't hang around on my account."

I asked, "Please don't jump while I'm here."

He looked at me then, almost quizzically. He shook his head slightly and said, "Okay."

We stood there in silence until I saw the lights, signalling the approach of professionals. And because I didn't know what else to do - and because I couldn't bear to answer any questions - I turned and walked down the inland side of the bridge to my car, got in, and drove away. I didn't look back. And to this day I don't know the outcome... I only know that the morning paper mentioned an emergency call to the bridge and nothing more.

A few years prior, the Search-and Rescue Training Squadron I was assigned to picked up a jumper in the San Diego Bay and transported her to the hospital, where she died on the operating table. We (the night crew) waited for the helo to come in, knowing that it had conducted the mission the crew was trained for and also knowing that a lot of work would need to be done to prepare the bird for the next day's flight schedule. I, in particular, would need to change out the SAR bag assigned and outfit the craft with a new, unused one. We waited on the flightline as the helo taxied in and shut down.

One by one, the crew egressed. The last to exit were the aircrewman, one salty old Chief and one new Airman with only a few flights under his belt. The Airman was sobbing and retching and the old Chief was doing his best to comfort him. I climbed in the cargo door in search of my SAR bag.

The deck of the helo was wet with salt water and blood and littered with bandages, packaging, and bits of flesh and bone. One of her eyes, oddly deflated and trailing ganglia, rested under the troop seat. Horrified, I gathered the pieces of the SAR bag that I could find and quickly sought the relative peace of my little domain in the hangar.

20-year-old I had academic knowledge of suicide, of course. 20-year-old I knew, with the elitist and seperated knowledge of the book-learned, that people jumped off of bridges and other sky-scraping objects in order to end their lives. 20-year-old I had never, however, thought about what a person who did such a thing would look like afterward, nor had 20-year-old I ever known the type of despair that would lead a young mother - not much older than myself - to plan such a cold, lonely, and violent death for herself. 20-year-old I sat in my shop and cried for the unknown woman, knowing that contributing my tears to her pain came too little, too late. And when I contacted the hospital in an attempt to locate the last missing piece of my SAR bag - the rescue collar - I didn't push it when each administrator told me that no one had any idea what happened to it. I didn't want to add it back to my inventory anyway.

Years later, one of our sister squadrons lost an aircraft in deep water, all four of her crew with her. It was several months before the wreckage was able to be recovered. Both pilots and both aircrewman were sailors that I had trained, that I had outfitted to the best of my ability with the finest survival gear available, some of it custom crafted with my own hands. The wreckage and remains were finally pulled from the water and deposited in another hangar on base, where I and a team of others assembled to make sense of it all, to try to piece together what happened.

I sorted bones and tatters of flight gear based on the locations that they were found, and at the end had three neat little piles and one SV-2 gun pocket with a hand-lettered name (done by yours truly). The gun pocket and other assorted tatters of his survival vest was all that was found of one of the young pilots. I was very attentive to my job, as I knew the men and wanted their families to have the peace that is hard-won through the closure of buried (or otherwise honored) remains. Despite the smell of months of salt water decay that suddenly hit air, despite the leftover organic slime coating everything I touched, I was attentive to my task.

Awaiting further investigation, the found flight gear hung in my wet locker, and even dry the stench remained. Theough the remains of my shipmates were long buried, the stench of their deep, cold wait remained. And for months I showered several times per day, trying to get the smell out of my nostrils, off of my skin. The flight gear was finally moved, and later destroyed. The smell remained... but faded, little by little, every day. Until it was gone and I didn't need to wake up in the middle of the night to shower anymore.

Later that year, I started to have The Dream.

It always begins the same, and always ends the same. Only the middle is different.

He stands on the Bridge, and I stand next to him. Sometimes a pale young woman stands with him. Sometimes he jumps, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes I catch his arm, or part of his coat, and we struggle - each time I lose and he falls. Once, he grinned an evil grin and my arm pulled off at the shoulder and went with him. Once, he and the young woman jumped together, and she screamed "NO NO NO" until she didn't scream anymore. Two or three times, he jumped just as emergency vehicles arrived and I was accused of throwing him over. A few times, he took me with him.

Every time, I've awakened to the stench of salty human decay and uncontrollable sobbing.

Several months after it started, The Dream stopped coming just as abruptly as it had started.

Until last night.

8 comments:

harbinger said...

Haunting alright, wonder why it came back now.

David said...

Sometimes events are so powerful they leave a permanent impression in our mind. No matter how hard you try to forget, it has become part of you. Some how you have to make peace with it. Now how you do that? I have no idea. I hope mandatory counseling was the procedure back then. If not, and maybe even if it was, you should think about seeing a professional.

I don't care how strong a person you are you can't see and experience the worst in humanity and not be effected. If you could I would have some serious reservations about you.

Talk to someone and get some help. Help is not a dirty word you know. We all need it from time to time.

Daughter of Night said...

HB: My guess is: stress. I've been struggling with some work and personal issues for the past few weeks, and I think The Dream is one of the ways my psyche is trying to tell me that I can't - no matter what - control everything that I want to.

RT: Thanks for your concern! These are events of long ago, and though still profoundly affecting, are not the most horrifying events of my existence. THe interesting part is the recurrance of The Dream after so many years. I am going to take a day off this week for some therapy (body wrap, facial, massage, and pedicure). :-)

David said...

Well, I still say it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone. There's a reason your mind wont let you let it go. I do worry about you sometimes :(

harbinger said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
Birthday Daughter of Night......
Lots of lovin' to you!

Daughter of Night said...

Thanks, HB!! I'll blog about my day later... it's been interesting... :-)

Jen said...

I had just started working hospice in Ann Arbor, and to train me properly in how to deal with loss, they had me go in alone on a pediatric death call. She had sandy blond hair, blue eyes, and a beautiful face. She had been spitting up bile for hours, her body taxed out from the disease that had mutilated her.
When she finally let go of the battered shell of her body, and moved to a brighter place, I offered to clean her up. Her Mom and Dad gratefully took me up on that offer, so I stripped her bile and blood covered clothes off, washed her, put baby powder on to cover the smell that was already beginning to emit from her tiny body, and I dressed her in a clean PJ gown.
When I was finishing up, her muscles tensed in an arm and it looked as though she was trying to get more comfortable. As hospice workers we're trained to know that the body can move quite a bit after death. It's freaky the first couple of times but it's something you get use to. Behind me her mother saw her arm move... And she knew without a doubt that her baby was still alive.
What should have been an easy 15 minute job turned into a struggle with an angry mom who was trying to get to her baby. She screamed "She moved!! I saw her. You can't keep my baby away from me. She's getting better!"
She hit and kicked me.
She bit me.

For years afterwards I had nightmares that while I was holding on to the mother, trying to give comfort where none was wanted, the child behind me sat up. In the nightmare the child was always angry at me because I didn't see enough of the signs to know that she was still alive... That I could have saved her. I could have prevented her parent's grief.

I still have that dream when I get stressed out too.

To me, it sounds like you had a lot of situations in the past that were completely beyond your control, and since stuff is happening in real life that you can't completely control your mind is trying to remind you that you made it through these rough waters before, and you will again!

Or something. ;)

Daughter of Night said...

Jen, thanks for sharing your experience and similar set of nightmarish circumstances. It's selfish, I know, but I can't help but feel comforted in knowing I am not alone with this sort of thing!!

I think you are right, and it's funny how the mind dredges things up...

<3