Sunday, June 24, 2007

A New Experience

Just after 12:30 pm on Friday, as my daughter, her boyfriend, and I made a quick stop at home in between dental work and running some errands, there was an event unlike any I've ever experienced before: a significant and palpable change in atmospheric pressure and and a deafening "WHUMP-Whump" sound that shook my home to its foundation and, in my soldier's mind, could only mean one thing.

My ears ringing, I ran out the front and my daughter's boyfriend ran out the back, looking for the tell-tale cloud of debris and smoke that would signal the instant revamping of my humble abode from single-family dwelling to impenetrable fortress. I wondered if I had stored enough water.

No further compression blasts occurred and there was nothing we could see that indicated the event had happened at all. Nothing on the radio, no neighbors standing outside in confusion and panic. We were, shall we say, nonplussed.

Later, to my delight and embarrassment, I found that the sound and incredible compression that we had experienced was the result of this:



The re-entry of the Space Shuttle Atlantis just before its crippled landing at Edwards AFB at 12:49.

I wish I had known before, as I could have enjoyed the moment for what it was. But even now... how cool is that???????????????????????????

3 comments:

harbinger said...

I was just saying to the wife that if we lived in California I would go to the landing site everytime,just in case it landed there, that would be so cool to see. And of course lift off would be wicked too, someday; it's on my list.

David said...

I don't care how many time I see one (on tv) it still amazes me that they can fly something as big as a house. They launch the the shuttle a few hours drive from where I live but I've never taken the time to go see it. After reading your post maybe it's time to take the crew and see one before they are put on the shelf.

Good thing you didn't shoot first and ask questions later. They don't take kindly to that kind of thing at NASA ;p

Daughter of Night said...

I can't even tell you what an amazing and powerful sound and feeling that was... I truly, truly, TRULY wish I had known beforehand so i could have been less freaked out and more appreciative. :-)