Sunday, July 01, 2007

My Enemy, My Friend

I write this today because I promised that I would... and I do it with no little humility and shame. I would like to say that the worst of the emotions that I am feeling are sparked by the fact that they have been brought to the forefront by my talk-radio nemesis, Dr. Laura Schlessinger, but I cannot. It's a source of unearthly chagrin that it was she who has given me my wake-up call, but that's something I'll have to live with. The source of my shame and embarrassment is that she is RIGHT (within certain parameters) and that the truth she's offered to me is so simple and obvious (and even part of my own personal philosophy) that I kick myself for not seeing myself, sooner, and without the prompting by someone who normally enrages me beyond reason.

I've just finished reading The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, a book I would have never even considered reading, much less buying, without the endorsement and high recommendation of a friend who felt that women in general and myself in particular would benefit from some of the observations included therein.

Yes, I am that wife who speaks to her husband with disdain. Yes, I am that wife who bashes her husband to her friends and humiliates him in public. Yes, I am that wife who nags and who looks with an overly critical eye at the efforts my husband makes to help me. Yes, I am that wife who has completely emasculated her husband by failing to offer him the things that he needs in my efforts to maintain, and ultimately control, the household. Yes, I am that wife who, as a victim of pervasive post-modern feminism, has viewed catering to my husband's needs as a relinquishment of power and as a statement of "entitled" reciprocal egoism. Yes, I am that wife who has ignored my husband's simple physical needs because I'm "too tired," "not in the mood," or because "he doesn't meet my emotional needs."

Yes, I am that wife. And as a strong advocate of the differences between men and women and a staunch dissenter to modern and post-modern feminism (apparently only where other people are concerned!), I am ashamed. As a firm believer in the civilizing power of the female in our society and the inherent control women have in interpersonal relationships, I am horribly embarrassed to have not seen this alarming trend of misuse of power in my own life. As a spiritual supporter of the theory that human beings choose their own realities, I offer in consuming humility my realization - brought to life by the written observations of a person whom I have heretofore not respected at all - that I have voluntarily relinquished the domain which I have purported to be my reason for living without even knowing I had abdicated.

When I said I tried, I didn't. When I said I would do anything to save my family, I left out the part where I would protect the needs of my husband as an integral part of that family. When I complained that my emotional needs weren't being met in my marriage, I did so without fully taking into account the fact that I was holding my husband responsible for that failure, when sole culpability resides only with me. I offer the fact that I was badly trained, not as an excuse, but as a prelude to my recent realization that I am smart enough to recognize poor training in other arenas of my life and am bereft at the knowledge that I not only accepted my bad training but RELIED on it as the self-centered yardstick of "how things should be in a marriage." My blithe acceptance of this training as an excuse to fail as a wife is the main source of my disappointment in myself. I'm supposed to be this big genius - how the hell did the false logic of this escape me for so long?

Because I wanted it to, that's why. Because I wanted to blame my failings on anyone but myself. Because I wanted to be lauded as Queen of this Domicile without exercising any honorable reign at all. Because I thought that my way is the only way and because I failed to accept my husband as the man he is and in turn, transformed him into something that is afraid, powerless, and still trying to conform to my endless and ridiculous demands.

So, thank you RT. And though it pains me to say it, thank you Dr. Laura.

My bold advent into saving my family has already begun. I will post updates as they occur!

29 comments:

David said...

{{{daughter}}}

I'll be honest, I've been sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear your reaction to the book. I was scared to death you would let the title and the author keep you from getting the point, hence making it a big waste of your time. Thank you for trusting me enough to at least read it. I wish my wife would have had the same faith in me as you did. I hope you can understand why it was so important to me for her to read it and why there was some resentment when she didn't. She has yet to finish it, by the way. I really don't get it.

I'm glade you got something out of it, although I never expected the reaction it did get. I knew there was a lot in the book that you already believed and lived. Like you, I believe there are limits to what Dr. laura is saying. Sometimes she makes things seem too simple in our modern, complicated lives. If nothing else I feel the book really gets the point across how men feel about relationships and I think women who haven't read it would be surprised to see how simple us men are.

So, thank you for keeping an open mind, just another thing I admire about you and the list is starting to get long :)

Jen said...

"how the hell did the false logic of this escape me for so long?

Because I wanted it to, that's why."

That's a moving sentence.
Mainly I think it's moving because your entire post reminds me a great deal of my own life, with the above as the punchline. I ignored everyone reading this book, but between RT and now you, I'm up for it.
As soon as I can afford to get the damn thing, I'm reading it too.
Neither the title or author turned me off the book, I just have a lot on my plate these days. But. BUT I'm gonna make room in my life to read said book, since my family is that important to me.
You and RT are also important to me, so what the hell...
It's now on the top of my list.

And great post by the way Daughter.
Very good insight, and open realization. I once again stand in awe of you.

Daughter of Night said...

Thanks so much for the support, RT and Jen!! I feel like I need it right now... but I also feel strangely at peace. And I have to say the the little things have already started to pay off. Bizarre!!

Jen, once my hubby is finished with the book, you are welcome to share my copy. I'll be happy to send it to you. :-)

Jen said...

Cool!!
I'll take you up on it.
:)
You rock.

David said...

I'm very, very interested in what your husband thinks of the book. If it's not asking to much that is.

And Jen is right, it is a great post. I was just so shocked I forgot to mention it :)

Daughter of Night said...

Well, you know, I've got to keep y'all on your toes with my shocking ability to learn something new every once in a while. :-)

Hubby is now reading "10 Stupid Things Men Do to Mess Up Their Lives" while my daughter (!) is reading "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands." So Jen, I hope you don't mind waiting a little bit...

But if you do, I'll be happy to order another copy and have it sent straight to your address, so you can have it ASAP. Just let me know. :-)

David said...

HA! Two Dr. Laura books!!! I'm sooooo jealous

I can't get the wife to finish one book in three years and your whole family is participating. No fair!:(

So I take it the MSU liked the Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands?

Jen said...

No, spending money on me. I'll wait my turn. :) Thanks though.

Jen said...

That was a hard thing to write, since I live for going outside and looking for packages everytime the mail runs. I have a strange draw for opening things.
*rip rip*
*ooooooo*

Daughter of Night said...

RT: MSU has not yet read The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands, as he is still working on 10 Stupid Things. He reads a lot more slowly than I do, and also doesn't sit still for long periods of time very well. :-) He's already complaining about Dr. Laura's style, so I'm not sure he'll even get through this book!!

Don't know what to say about the wife, except that sometimes we have to be REALLY READY to accept messages from strange sources. And she may not be as fascinated with the book as I was, in that she can't apply the situations to herself as I was (disturbingly) able to do. Perhaps her willingness to put forth the effort is enough?

Jen: I too eagerly anticipate the mail every day!! So just let me know if you change your mind and want that experience sooner than I would otherwise offer it. :-)

harbinger said...

Since the popular belief is that men are simple and women are complicated, it amazes me that women have a hard time reading men.

Harb's guide for women for a good marriage:

1) Keep nagging for things to be done to a minimum.
(Men are in a different time zone)
2) Emasculating behavior is the biggest turnoff to a man that there is. (Men will stray to restore their mental manhood)
3) Dress and act like a whore in the bedroom at least once a month.
(For your husband that is)

There it is, all a women needs to know about keeping a good marriage.

Daughter of Night said...

Funny, HB... that's pretty much my synopsis of what Dr. Laura said. :-)

Looks like it's worked for you! I'll keep everyone posted about my progress, etc. :-)

Jen said...

*laugh*
I'm glad you specified "For your husband that is" in your post Har!!!
Some people wouldn't get why acting like a whore in the bedroom with Joe down the street wasn't improving your marriage anyways!

"Honestly Hunny, I was just trying to get your lawn mower back!!"

harbinger said...

I remember one time, years back, I wanted to spice things up a bit in the bedroom fun time, know what I mean. I thought the wife and I might try a little bondage!!!woah!
So I tied her all up and that, got all dirty and the like, then at the end of that I untied her and told her it was her turn to tie me up.
So she tied my arms and legs to the bedposts then she sat at the edge of the bed and said, "What do I do now,"
I said, "Untie me.”

Jen said...

*laugh*
No really, I'm still laughing.

David said...

LOL

More than I ever wanted to know HB. Way more!

Jen said...

There's no limit to what I wanna know!
;-D

harbinger said...

Me too, me too!

harbinger said...

I got a million of em'.

harbinger said...

THIS NEXT SENTENCE ONLY FOR THOSE THAT HAVE NOT HEARD ENOUGH.(RT stop reading)
Some day I'll tell you about the trapeze I put over the bed.

David said...

OMG!!! stop it! Just stop it! That's it Iam telling

DAUGHTER! *stomps of to find daughter*


:-)

Daughter of Night said...

All right you three... play nice!

:-)

HB: I can guarantee that I'm not going to install a trapeze, though I am voraciously curious as to what one would do with it once installed... I must say that I don't like the swinging sensation and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't appreciate high velocity body parts coming at me...

And, just to re-focus the conversation a bit, in two weeks of making very minor changes to the way I do business, i have to admit that MSU seems happier and more satisfied than I've seen him in a long time. Still can't believe I was sooooooo stupid for soooooo long.

David said...

:)

What I'd like to know is are you happier?

Jen said...

I need a book to make my life better too!!!

As for the trapeze, I like that word.. It's gotta "z" in it. :-)
All sorts of imagination is happenin' over here.

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

I headed over to Borders today, but they were out of the book.
I guess I'm back to waiting for your copy Daughter.
*wink*

The Gunslinger said...

Courageous.

I too was a brilliant, yet shitty wife. Might go with the brains, actually. Occupational hazard.

I'd love to see your husband's face when he reads this.

Don't forget, epiphany is easy, follow-up is hard.

Good luck. You can do it.

Daughter of Night said...

Ah, Gunslinger, that is a truth already learned! I have had numerous relapses since writing about my epiphany, but continue to work toward marital bliss. :-)

And I have found that it really is the little things that matter - Good God, what a difference!!

The quest continues (slowly, taking into account the practically flat learning curve in this realm...)!!

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?