Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Fourth Day

I am Jack's utter boredom.

Funny thing about being conspicuously absent from places I've been conspicuously present. It's only my 4th day away from work and today I haven't received a single email in my work inbox. My suspicions are confirmed: it doesn't take seven years to be declared dead, just four days.

There is a lot of freedom in being dead. I can skulk anonymously about the Internet without worrying if anyone thinks I'm just wasting precious time. In reality, I am. I can only nap so often.

If I could lift anything heavier than my own underwear, I'd try to do some laundry. If it would stop raining, I'd try to take the bike out for a little spin. If someone would have helped me out by doing the grocery shopping during my incapacitation (see point number one in this paragraph), I'd cook an elaborate meal. As it stands, I think I'll go take a nap. After all, I have protoplasm to knit!!

I did get a transfer, by the way. It means that I have to work Saturdays. It also means that I won't be doing casework anymore, as it is an administrative position. I'm very grateful to be leaving my current Purgatory, but am wondering just how much I'll like my job if I'm not out in the field, supervising kids. This "admin" thing is supposed to be good for my professional resume... I hope it's worth it. Either way, I won't have to work in The Building of Bad Karma any more and I'll be out from under the constant PA paging, not to mention the steady stream of questions, distractions, and issues. I'm pretty sure I'm really going to miss casework, though.

Rookie quit. No two weeks notice, no warning (other than her simple refusal to try on a daily basis). She left a stack of unfinished reports on the Duty Officer's desk with a note stating that she "resigned." Apparently she then just walked out. Good riddance, I say. I just wish she hadn't been so selfish about it. My staff had already sucked up enough of her work - now I'm not there to carry my part of HER load and I'll be leaving for good about two weeks after I return. Part of me blames the consistent mismangement of my Supervisor, but in reality, Rookie is just a selfish, crazy bitch.

Looks like it's naptime. I have to rest up for the 20 minute drive to get my taxes done tomorrow. Ha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmm if you are that bored you can always email me at work..and i do believe it is YOUR turn..
also how do you take the end cap off the handle bars on my bike.wanting to put pointed ones on with the new hand grip..
sounded like they had a coup when you left lol

David said...

:) There is a lot of freedom in being dead

There is a lot of restrictions too. lol

Congrats on the transfer... I think?

Take this time to learn how to relax :)

Jen said...

"I am Jack's utter boredom."

I use to speak in Jack all the time!
Sometimes I'd be Jack's anger.
Or his frustration.
Or.. Or.. Or..

And then one day a friend of mine said, "I've never understood why you always say that!"

I stopped.
It's always been a piece of myself that I missed.