So much for disclaimers.
Earlier, I was embroiled in an online forum-type conversation about bikers being pulled over by police and field interviewed (photographed, asked about affiliations, etc.). Lots of bikers, Club-affiliated or not, have had similar situations. I reminded folks that we have rights. I reminded folks what they are. I provided advice on how to exercise rights and still be compliant with officers. I advised people that law enforcement officers are allowed to lie to people in order to gain compliance and information. I clearly stated that law enforcement will absolutely exploit a person's ignorance about their rights. Not because we're assholes. But because the deck is TOTALLY stacked in the citizens' favor.
Even with all this information handed to them, practically on a silver platter, they ignored it. The last post said something like, "Go along with the program and let them take your picture, etc. I got this from state troopers." Which, of course, was not necessarily in conflict with MY information (which was qualified by situations, severity of any lawbreaking, etc.), but was in essence negating the points I had tried so carefully to make. My points = big picture. Going with the program = not big picture. Fine.
And it IS fine, because it's not my problem. These are just more folks I can take advantage of when I need information that they might have. Good for me and my brethren in blue.
But in the bigger scope of things, it's just more fuel for my "I'm terrified of what this society is becoming" fire. Because what really happened on that forum today was something far more sinister than it appears. The message on that forum NOW, after all posts have been posted, is this: Don't, under any circumstances, find out for yourself what the laws are, what your rights are, and what you can and can't do when at risk for being detained. Even though the information that has been posted on this site JUST TODAY is in direct conflict, DON'T find out what the truth is. DON'T have any doubt or questions. DON'T research your rights by any means! Don't EXERCISE your rights by any means! ALLOW yourself to be documented as a gang member even if you aren't, because knowing your rights and standing by your rights might mean an INCONVENIENCE to you! Please, throw the other members of your Club under the documentation bus so YOU don't get a citation or arrest that YOU earned by breaking the law in the first place.
That's what *I'm* getting from it, anyway. And it's terrifying.
Because, really, knowing the laws, your rights, and your civic duty is YOUR responsibility as a citizen. Exercising these rights and responsibilities is what makes us FREE. Refusing to demonstrate the responsibilities and THEN choosing to waive or even NEGATE your rights is unfathomable. Unconscienable. WRONG.
And apparently, the new American Way. This is EXACTLY how we end up sacrificing more and more of our rights every single Election Day.
I'm just sayin'.
3 comments:
I hear you loud and clear on this but I have to admit another thought popped into my head as I read this.
Yes we should all know our rights, especially if were are doing something that might expose our liberties to suspicion BUT why should someone acting in a normal civil fashion have to fear their rights are going to be trampled? They shouldn't. The truth is that our legislators have written so many laws - far to many laws - for so many reasons that it would be impossible for the average citizen to know them all. Our government has effectively made criminals out of all citizens. I dare say it would be hard for many citizens to go through a single day with out violating some law or code.
Because of government forcing its way into every aspect of our lives we are all now criminals in the sense that we all break laws everyday. The government now has the luxury of decided which laws it decides to enforce depending on which group of citizens it wants to target and what actions by said citizens it wants to change or influence.
Just as the average citizen has to hire an accountant to pay taxes could we really expect the average citizen to know all the laws and all their rights that are tightly interwoven within these laws? I say not. Not when lawyers go to court everyday and argue the interpretation of these very laws. Georgia just recently had its "Left Turn Signal Indicator Rule" declared invalid. If something that simple could be misinterpreted what chance does John Q Public have to understand the mountain of laws and procedures he must navigate everyday? None.
Should we not be free to pursue life, liberty and happiness? Are we?
Of course I don't blame the men and women of law enforcement for this situation. At least not the ones in the trenches getting their hands dirty. They are just as much victims of the system as the citizens they are trying to protect.
Just my opinion of course... and sorry about the long rant. :(
Actually, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from. In standard conditions of probation, there is usually an order that says something like "the defendant will obey all Federal, State, County, and City laws." WHen I am reviewing court orders with clients and come across this one, I always ask them, "you checked out those big books at the library and memorized all of them, didn't you? It will be very difficult for you to be compliant with probation if you didn't." Without fail I get a terrified look and sometimes even a stammer or two.
And they're right. And so are you. There is NO WAY to know all of the laws. Even if there were, the laws are in constant dynamic motion. Laws are being interpreted and re-interpreted every day. There is no way to keep up.
And I've said it a million times (or at least every time there is new legislation proposed that encompasses a law that already exists): Don't make new laws. Enforce the ones we have. We don't need new gun laws. It's never been okay to kill people, regardless of your weapon of choice. We don't need new laws regarding privacy, civil rights, freedom of speech, freedom of expression, or equal protection under the law - we HAVE laws that cover all of these things quite nicely. We don't need new laws regarding sex offenders or gang members - we already have laws that govern misbehavior and they need to be enforced to the fullest extent of the law, NOT mediated by attorneys and plea bargains.
Yes, in-pocket government seems to send the message that we are ALL criminals, but if we "go along with the program," we'll be free to go about our business merrily. An attitude that begs invocation of our Nation's Consitution, which sets forth the guidelines for lawful self-sufficiency and also sets forth the basic rights with which the pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness can be freely sought. WHy isn't it enough?
My guess is because people don't WANT to think for themselves. They don't WANT to be responsible for their own decisions. They WANT the government to hold their hands.
:::shakes head:::
Remember, remember the 5th of November.
Post a Comment