Thursday, September 14, 2006

Moments of Grace

The other night, my youngest and I drove to pick up another child from a dance. It was about 11:00 pm - not late on a Saturday night by anyone's standards and certainly not by Southern California standards. We had a short drive to the freeway, but during that trip we saw not another car. Not even one. And when we came off the long (and strangely deserted) on-ramp to presumably merge into freeway traffic, there was none. I could see a spattering of red taillights far ahead of us and a glow of headlights far behind... but no one was within a mile of us.

We had a SoCal freeway to ourselves. For about 30 seconds, because we got off at the next exit.

My youngest is 8, and she displayed a measure of trepidation by asking, "Where is everybody? What's wrong??" At 8 years of age, she already knows that there is traffic everywhere we go. Worse, she already knows that no traffic probably means something is not right.

"Enjoy it, honey," I said, "It's a moment of grace."

I am grateful.

No comments: