Monday, September 11, 2006

Where was I? Where were YOU??

I made it through the day without ripping anyone's head off. It was damn close a couple of times.

I made it through the day without lecturing anyone about their constant complaints regarding the noise from Miramar. No matter how many times I tell people that all that noise is the sound of their fucking freedom, they never seem to get it.

I made it through the day without crying. Okay, that's a lie.

I made it through the day without sobbing hysterically in public. Quite a feat.

I made it through the day without screaming at my neighbors to get the fucking flags that they flew so proudly during the days after our National Tragedy out of whatever dusty bin they tossed them in once the shock had passed and fly them just as proudly now. This thing ain't over.

I made it through the day proud to have served and contributed to our current state of readiness. I wished - like a million times before - that I could contribute more... now... again...

I made it through the day without wearing my disappointment in many of my fellow Americans on my face like a mask of contempt. Because if it had been MY decision, this would have been a one-day war. Sorry, civilians (who just happen to live where the terrorists live). Sucks to be you.

I made it through the day with a previously unknown shred of objectivity. In retrospect, it's a good thing that it wasn't me making that decision. Because the entire Middle East would have been a smoking hole in the Earth and we'd be having fallout lawsuits right and left.

But you know what? America would have forgotten about my rash decision and moved on. Three guesses how I know that... first two don't count.

No comments: