Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Day Three

Today is the third day I've had to stay home from work with the Conjuctivitis Kid. For some reason she is not responding to treatment (perhaps her conjuctivitis is viral this time?), but I can't take her back to school until her eyes stop seeping. School personnel wouldn't believe the "viral" thing anyway, even if it is true.

Believe it or not, she is as unhappy about it as I am. I think she has a crush on her teacher. Yesterday (thinking the new treatment would take care of the infection in short order) I foolishly promised that she would be able to return to school this morning. There was an awful teary scene - complete with betrayed proclamations of "But, Mama, you PROMISED!!!!" - and several attempts at renegotiation of terms. She has also missed softball practice and stands to miss an important catcher's clinic this afternoon if I can't get someone to - in writing!!! - clear her.

After all, I've been in very close proximity with her for three days straight and haven't shown a single symptom. But I digress!

Despite the fact that there is never a good time for me to be away from work, planned or not, I have to say that I could get used to being at home every day. I used to think that being a stay-at-home mom would bore me to death, that I would be a terrible mother because I would be so resentful of spending all of my time in service to little demands.

Ha ha ha. Look at me now. But there is a retirement involved!!

And sadly, I did not win the 370 million dollar MegaMillions jackpot last night. So unless I can pull off a serious financial coup, I'm quite job-saddled for the foreseeable future. I'm not disrespecting public service, I'm just finally able to see the ongoing merit in private service.

I've been sacrificng myself to the god of security for a long time, never stopping to wonder why it never seems to be enough. And I have to admit I'm weary of working for others - others who don't necessarily share my worldview, my enthusiasm, or my autonomous code of ethics. I long to be surrounded by creativity, by "let's do this!" and "why not?" instead of the apathy and resignation I see in many of my co-workers. I crave a more sensical schedule, one that allows me to take care of my home and children first. Especially since it seems that I'm not going to get help from my male spousal unit regardless of whether or not he's on the same continent.

I don't want to be anyone else's boss. I'd rather just be my own.

10 comments:

harbinger said...

So far staying at home for me after 28 years of sheer agony, has been a blast. Leading up to my quitting my job a lot of co-workers were advising me that I was too young and I would be bored out of my mind not working.
(Buzzer sound goes here,) WRONG! I don't think I could ever be out of things to keep me busy, the things I never had time for when I was working.
My wife quit her job a year before I did and like she says, 'I've never been busier.'
I guess there might have been a little jealousy with the co-workers
not being able to leave as I did.
I have found over the years that it is best that I am my own boss,(even then I argue with myself.)

Yes I sense that you would have a very full and creative experience not working for others.The freedom allows the juices to flow easier I think.
PS, want to know how to win the lottery, I can show you.

David said...

I like that you do public service:) I wish there were more motivated, intelligent people willing to do it.

That's whats wrong with politics, it's not worth the aggravation for the qualified people to do it.

I do understand about you wanting to be with your child. That was a decision the wife and I made before we got married.

I didn't win the lotto either :(

Spiller5 said...

Teabags - for some reason when I had conjuctivitus as a kid my mum stuck teabags on my eyes - worked a treat apparantly!

Though that was back in the day and Im pretty certain that medicine has come a long way in 20 years

Daughter of Night said...

Harbinger, I am envious of your position and continue to aspire to it. :-)

As for winning the lottery, if you have a system I'll try it and share the outcome!!... and I don't need 370 million. 5 million will see me through the rest of my life in high comfort and style. :-)

RT, I can't imagine my life not in service... but I think I'd be just as happy volunteering while the kids are in school. ;-)

SIller: Thanks! I used teabags to help relieve swelling (the caffiene does that) and to help with the irritation... works great!

David said...

hey I won't in on this lottery system thing *waves hand in the air* :)

David said...

that should be I want in....please

harbinger said...

OK peoples this is how to win more at
playing lotteries.
This system is for 6/49 6/39 type lotteries but i think you could adapt it for others(you guys have that 5 numbers and the powerball number I think,)anyways, it works best with the lowest amount of balls they pick from.(Of course.)
The other draw back to this system is
,1- you need to play as many tickets as you can on a constant basis, I think ten would be about the minimum.
2-you will lose often, as you are limited to fewer numbers each draw.
3-you need to have a little luck!

The idea is, you don't try to guess the 6 numbers, that is too many to guess.
Do you get three up often, I used to get them now and then, even when the computer picked my numbers for me.
You are going to pick three numbers that you want to come up, only three.
Let's say you pick 3-16-22 and say it's out of 49.
Put those numbers on every ticket, then just pick the other three at
random.
1-3-16-18-22-36,
3-16-22-38-44-48,
3-11-16-20-22-41,etc.
The beauty is, if only one of your numbers comes up it is on every ticket, you will have three more numbers on the tickets you will hope go with it.
If two of your numbers come up you will always win money because you only need one to go with the two you have on every ticket.
If you tree numbers come up, you win big, every ticket is a winner, they already have three of the winning numbers, lots of your ramdom numbers will be there to go with them to make 4up's and maybe even 5up's.
What you are hoping for is that when your three numbers come up, that there is another three in your random numbers, that is why you want to play the most you can.
Also I have found it better to change the three for every draw.

This has worked for me three times in about six years. That may sound like a long time, but if you are going to continue to play anyway why not make your chances better.

David said...

I'll try it, why not *shrug*

Daughter of Night said...

Both of the lotteries I play are "powerball" types, but there are definite trends in how often certain numbers come up in the powerball spot (so I always play those)... it never occurred to me to play the same numbers on all of my tickets, but you're right - it decreases one's "random all 6" odds, but drastically increases the odds of hitting three or more.

Mathematically sound and worth a try... Thanks, Harbinger!!

Out of curiosity, you mentioned it worked "three times." Jackpot worked, or moderately large win worked?
:-)

harbinger said...

It worked all the way.