Saturday, August 04, 2007

Dog Days of Summer

I've decided that my dogs are the most practical role models I have.

My dogs have no "body consciousness" whatsoever. Their bodies are tools for working, eating, and playing. My dogs never forlornly appraoch me and ask, "Does this fur make me look fat?"

My dogs are completely at home and confident in their sexuality. My dogs don't say, "Turn off the lights!" My dogs know that they are going to get laid even if they have three legs, a scarred snout, or fleas. This knowledge sets them free to pursue happiness without a bunch of stress about whether or not other dogs are talking behind their backs and without wondering if barking that occured during chance encounters with strange dogs "means anything."

My dogs do thier jobs without complaint, pay, or medical benefits. They do their jobs when they are sick. They do their jobs when it is hot. They do their jobs when they are frightened. They will do their jobs with their last dying breath. Why? Because that's what they do.

My dogs lay down when they are tired. When my dogs want someone to comfort them, they don't wait for that someone to notice they need comfort - they ask for it and keep asking until the comfort is delivered.

My dogs eat moderate portions of food twice per day and are totally satisfied with it. In fact, they eat the same food item twice per day, every day and are always damn excited to see it being served.

My dogs play with each other, not expensive, isolating toys.

My dogs never say, "I'm bored." In a dog's world, there is ALWAYS something fascinating to do.

When my dogs see someone they love, they greet them with consistent and unflagging joy. They know that every time someone walks out of the front door, they might not walk back in, so it's important to slobber all over them while they can.

My dogs are NEVER afraid to speak their mind. Loudly and copiously.

My dogs don't need money. My dogs don't know what money is. If I ran out of money and couldn't buy thier food, they'd still be okay.

My dogs don't know the meaning of "give up." Giving up is the hallmark of "intelligence." Funny, eh?

My dogs don't fear death. At some point, they will welcome it and perhaps even hasten it by refusing to eat and/or leaving the property to die alone.

In essence, my dogs embody my motto: I fear no one. I want nothing. I am free. And here I'd been looking outside my own home for inspiration!!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

You'd get laid even if you had three legs babe!
;)
I'm not picky.

Daughter of Night said...

Awwwww, thanks, Jen!!!!!!!!!

:-)

David said...

I agree, good observation. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Money is the real problem. Since dogs have no pockets they have no use for money. Hence, no mortgage, no cars payments and nobody sues them for sticking their nose where it doesn't belong.(literally) It sure cuts down on the amount of stress in their life. I wouldn't mind being a bird either, except for eating worms, YUCK!

:-)

Daughter of Night said...

If you were a bird, you would think worms a rare and wonderful delicacy. It's all a matter of persepctive, yes? :-)

I agree... it's money that's the root of all evil. Funny how those old cliches make more sense as I get older....

The Gunslinger said...

What a great description!

Non-cat people don't realize just how affectionate they can be, but your description applies to my 4 beauties as well.

One of them is even a slobberer...

Almost made me cry in appreciation of their unqualified "love".

And GOOD MOTTO! Can I steal it?

Daughter of Night said...

I like cats, too. They are tough to keep with two Dobies, though. :-)

Go ahead and share the motto! It's a good one for you. :-)

The Dahlia said...

This is brilliant!! More people should think about things like this, maybe the world would be a little better place. I definitely wouldn't mind having a "dogs life".

Daughter of Night said...

The dog's life looks better and better every day. :-)