Tuesday, August 28, 2007

While I'm Ranting...

"That shooting was unnecessary... they should have barricaded him in with the car."



"That shooting was unnecessary... that man only had a stick."



"That shooting was unnecessary... he was only a child!"



"That shooting was unnecessary... he had a toy gun."



"That shooting was unecessary... they could have easily disarmed him."



"That shooting was unnecessary... he wasn't hurting anyone, he just had the knife because the cops were scaring him."



Here are the POST dimensions for California Peace Officers:


Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training


JOB DIMENSIONS for PEACE OFFICERS


Integrity

Interest in People

Interpersonal Sensitivity

Communication Skills

Problems Solving Ability

Judgment Under Pressure

Willingness to Confront Problems

Credibility as a Witness

Observational Skills

Learning Ability

Appearance

Dependability

Physical Ability

Desire for Self-Improvement

Operation of a Motor Vehicle

You'll notice that self- sacrifice, willingness to accept head trauma, skills as a shank-cushion, inability to preserve your own life when others are firing upon you, and desire to be run over by a vehicle are not among the desired dimensions. It doesn't outline mind-reading, a post-graduate degree in pharmacopia, an LMFT certification, or super-human healing properties as qualifying skills. Nowhere does it say that qualified applicants must be willing to sacrifice their own lives and well-being in order to avoid use of deadly force. Also conspicuously absent are: ability to differentiate a gun replica from an actual gun in the dark and in less than one second, willingness to orphan one's children, and lack of regard for human life.

'Nuff said.

7 comments:

The Dahlia said...

Right on, hon!!! People tend to forget that while in the process of coming up with excuses for someone's bad behavior.

David said...

I really don't think you could say enough about this subject because it's going to get worse not better.

The whole thing is extremely frustrating to me. I can't imagine how the blame game effects you.

Just remember, there are plenty of people that still support and respect the people who choose to protest society.

Daughter of Night said...

Thanks, Her!!

RT, I'm laughing because you typed "protest society." Hee hee. But my gratitude goes out to you and those like you who still appreciate us old sheepdogs. :-)

David said...

HA! Damn spell check!

Actually, the way most people act today, enforcing the law is like protesting society :D

Jen said...

I wonder if I could get a job with the Force. I'm all about protesting society.

David said...

okay, okay... enough of this, sheeesh! I feel I must protest the direction these comments are heading to protect my good name. I was only one letter off people!

:-)

Paul Coambs said...

Excellent postings Daughter of the Night.

SVS