Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Revelations of Studying

I'm casting about in the dark, studying for my interview tomorrow. I'm casting about in the dark because I have absolutely NO IDEA what the panel is going to ask me. In keeping with my jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none style, I'm throwing a little bit of everything into the pot.

The interviews are scheduled at twenty-minute increments, 11 interviews total. We've been instructed to appear fifteen minutes early, as they are going to provide the questions to us beforehand and allow us time to prepare notes.

To me, this means I can bring my laptop, my thumb drive, and the Supervisor's Desk Manual to my interview as "preparation" materials. I did not verify this. I figure they'll tell me if I can't use them. In my opinion, I'd be a fool if I didn't stack the odds in my favor as much as possible, given that there is only one position available at this time.

As I wander through the materials I have, I realize that the major focus in Supervisory materials is on progressive discipline, management of employee grievances, and employee counseling tactics. There is very little in the manual or other published policies that denotes supervisory responsibilities that are outside of these three arenas. Which is troubling to me on a variety of levels.

You see, I have a vision.

Yes, I know how corny that sounds, but it's true. In my vision, employees of my Department are empowered, comptetant, and fully aware of the import of their duties and responsibilities. In my vision, discipline, counsling, and grievances are situations that are few and far between, because I (as a supervisor) have fostered a culture of shared vision, equilateral responsibility for outcomes, and pride in "craftsmanship." My vision includes comprehensive and ongoing training, employee awareness of available resources, ongoing and public recognition of efforts, anticipation of problems before they arise, and more-than-adequate lines of communication (that go both ways) to ensure that all employees are aware of what the expectations are, how they can achieve them, how the outcomes are measured, and why they are required to do what they are required to do. In my vision, employees are happy in their work environments because they are not challenged beyond their capabilities, the expectations are reasonable and achievable, and operations are conducted with safety, readiness, and consistent leadership as the prime directives. In my vision, employees are aware of the strategic initiatives and recognize the importance of providing excellent customer service, creating new opportunities for the children of our County, promoting safe and livable communities, and recognizing environmental impacts and striving to limit them. My vision dictates that the employees under my supervision know, without a doubt, that they are supported. It dictates that employees feel free to exercise creativity and do not fear making mistakes (in acts that are within policy and conducted in "good faith"), nor do they fear reprisal for bringing grievances or problems - real or potential - to light. My vision requires that I am, above all, a good example to my employees... that my expectations reflect my own work ethic and production... that I am available to supervise, train, and lead the employees entrusted to my tutelage in order to ensure that they become effective leaders themselves.

My vision consists of a culture of confidence and competance. A culture of knowing that the work we do is important, valued, and necessary. I am convinced that such a culture will benefit the employees and citizens of my County at a level previously unknown.

During the course of studying, I have come to realize that my vision seems a bit impractical and downright idealistic. Given the nature of the majority of study material available, I recognize that the components of my vision don't appear to be a priority of our business model, which may explain the vast deficit of leadership in our current ranks. In fact, I am almost (not quite!!) hesitant to share my vision with the interviewing panel, for fear of being dismissed as overly zealous and even silly.

:::::::sigh::::::

T minus 28 hours, folks.

4 comments:

David said...

I love your vision. I think you're going to have to go with your gut feeling once you've seen the questions.

I would say good luck but you really don't need it ;) You'll do great.

Jen said...

Whether or not your ideals are practical, has nothing to with how amazing you are just for having them in the first place.
There's an amazing amount of people with the "I didn't do it/it's not my job" mentality.
It takes a true leader to say the things you've said and act on them.
Whatever the tide brings in, know that we are proud of you already!
You'll do fantastic.
Update us.
We'll be here!

David said...

Well?

I WANT TO KNOW! :D

Daughter of Night said...

It's so cool to have a cheering section!! You make me feel very confident!!

Thanks. :-)