I'm home again, missing another piece of my anatomy. This time, I'm sure I won't miss it!
What I am missing, however, is the previously taken-for-granted strength of my abdominal wall! I was aware, in an academic way, that our core musculature is the "core" for a reason... so much of our flexibility and capability of movement comes from the beautifully designed and amazingly strong muscles of our abdomen and back. From the outside, it appears that the impact on my midsection is minimal: one incision near my navel and two smaller punctures near my ribcage. The incisions themselves don't bother me at all. It's the sudden inefficacy of my abdominal wall that's troubling... little things that used to be so easy - sitting, laying down, getting up, walking, peeing - are now huge efforts. And though I realize that this is probably more information than anyone wants to know, I have to relate that I am terrified of the inevitable moment that I will have to poop. I sincerely hope that doesn't happen until tomorrow (when I plan to be feeling so much better!!)
Anyway, I am grateful today to be reminded of the strength of my body and what it (normally) does for me!! And I am grateful to have had the prayers and blessings of so many with me - as MSU had to just drop me off and go to work, it was nice to know that I wasn't really alone. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Saturday, February 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
We're SO glad your home and without the GB to give you anymore trouble!
The muscle control will get better quickly and although having to poo sucks, it's a lot better then not being able to at all! I won't bother to regale you with my recent stories.
*wink*
I wish you were close enough that I could bring you some baking and a good movie to help you relax and recover.
We're here in spirit none the less.
{{{{{A}}}}}
I'm happy that it went well. You need to sit back and relax and not do a thing. If anyone ask you to do something just point to your belly and shrug.
Try not to laugh but when the wife ask me if I talked about anything interesting on the blog tonight, I'm going to say poop and poo :o
lol
Seriously, get well soon.
Thanks, Jen, for confirming my fear... but forewarned is forearmed! :-) I would love to have some of your baking now (high fiber, please!!) that I can finally enjoy it!!
RT, you're too funny - I wish I could pull off the "point and shrug" tactic, but as MSU so aptly pointed out, "you only get to be helpless when you're REALLY helpless by being helpless sometimes when you're not. Nobody's going to remember that you're hurt because you're NEVER hurt."
Oh well. I guess it could be worse!! :-)
Hope you get to feeling 100% soon, and back on your bike soon too!!! Sending love, hugs, and blessings!!!!
--Jessica
Post a Comment