MSU and I were discussing some of the more difficult times in our marriage (see the post from September of 2007: The Inertia of Hopelessness and the Emotional Supernova). I've thought about it before - I even wrote a short poem about the phenomena once - but it struck me again how completely subjective nad piecemeal memories are.
Memories can only present themselves to our consciousness from our own point of view. I can remember my interpretation of how a person reacted, but that memory is dependent on my perceptions alone - which were quite possibly skewed by poor communication, wrongful assumptions, and the emotional climate of the day. Today's conversation with MSU was frought with statements like, "I don't remember that," and "Didn't it happen this way?"
My own memories are generally emotions-based: I don't remember the day or the events that lead up to the situation, but I'll generally remember how I felt and/or how I reacted. Sometimes this makes conversations about days past frustrating for those around me, as I often can't say how a thing came to pass, only how I felt when it did. If the day/situation/event in question didn't have some kind of emotional attachment factor, I won't remember it.
In essence, I remember the when without the why. Arguably, this forces my learning curve into a rather flat shape, as it could be theorized that I might often make the same life mistakes because my memory is "flawed" and I might be duplicating actions/events/choices because only the outcome of a previous and similar choice - not the "lead in" - presents itself to my consciouness, and then only if the outcome had an extreme emotional impact.
Take childbirth, for example. I often feel rather left out of conversations with other mothers, because so many of them can remember the exact time their babies were born, their exact weight and length, the names of the medical personnel attending, the course of the events from first contraction to taking the baby home. Other mothers have looked at me askance when I've confided that I don't remember these things, as if I'm somehow less than what a good mother should be because these details do not present themselves to my consciosness years later. With my firstborn, I remember my water breaking: I was very confused (because I thought I had wet the bed). I remember calling the squadron, becuase MSU was flying that day, to have them call his bird back: I was so excited. I remember being so tired (36 hour labor) and actually falling asleep between contractions. I remember being allowed to push: I felt so triumphant to be in action after so long in a passive state. I remember her becoming "stuck:" I was terrified. I remember her crowning: the pain was unlike any I'd ever felt before and I was shocked and surprised. I remember the bony strangeness of her shoulders coming out, and then the wholly disconcerting feeling of the rest of her body sliding out of me: I felt suddenly and totally alone and empty. And I remember her warm little body on my chest and stomach: I felt Love, True Love, for the first time in my life, a feeling that eradicated any notions I had previously had of Love and that surged through me with a ferocity that both warmed me and frightened me. I remember nursing her for the first time: my body wracked with sobs because she and I didn't take to the process easily and I was sure that I was a horrible mother because I couldn't feed my child properly.
I have no idea how much she weighed, what her Apgar score was, what time she was born, or loading her into the car to take her home. I don't remember these things because they were emotionally unimportant.
To me, memory is like a poorly shingled roof. There is no rhyme nor reason to what is peeled away by time and what remains. I have no explanation for remembering events differently than others who were there except for the fact that my memories are mine and theirs belong to them. Anything remembered must also necessarily be remembered from the singular standpoint of one person; anything remembered must necessarily be edited by time and increased emotional distance. I have no doubt that my mind edits some memories to make them less painful, less traumatic, less personal; some have accused me of denial in this sense, sometimes even outright deceit. But I do not believe that any of us has control over the mind's ongoing editing process, nor would I accuse someone of being deceptive just because they don't remember something the way I remember it. I do believe that memory - at least mine - is fundamentally flawed because emotions, too, wane over time.
Saturday, February 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Very interesting. I've never thought of it like that. I've been thinking about perception versus reality a lot lately. The problem seems to be if one person's perception is their reality then it's hard to convince them that your perception is in fact the right one. Which, it might not be.
My memory works off triggers. A word, picture or sound may trigger a memory. I don't often just remember a specific event but given the right trigger and it all comes flooding back.
Good post! :)
HMMMMMMMMMMM well at least did you have some good sex after yall talk :-)
Way back when I wrote a post about just that thing, RT. I think it's called "Guess My Liberal Arts Major" and is probably located somewhere in my first six months of blogging. It'd be a quick read for you for argument's sake. ;-)
Sometimes smells do it for me, too. But again, not without some kind of emotional connotation. I'll be a crappy grandmother because I won't have any stories about "back in the old days..."
JK - Ummmm, no. This particular stroll down "Memory Lane" didn't end up with the two of us reaching the same destination.
Hey RT, it's actually in the very first month of my posting (April 2006). It's like the third of fourth post. :-) If I knew how to add a link, I would. ;-)
I read it and as usual it was a great post. I see your point too or at least I think I do ;)
When I was growing up a friend and me use to have a conversation about colors all the time. We wondered if we actually saw the same colors. We had some ridiculous conversations trying to prove we did but as far as I can remember we never could prove it. We call colors by the name we're taught. So if I see yellow where you see blue and we're both taught to call it green then we will both identify different colors as the same color. Maybe there is a way to prove it but my point is I think of perspective in much the same way. How would you really know? And as your post so rightly concluded... you can't.
But, if you can get someone to look at something in a different way (even if it wasn't the way you meant them to) then you have given them a new perspective. I guess that's the best we can do. *shrug*
As for adding a link it looks like this in HTML
(a href="http://daughterofnight.blogspot.com/2006/04/guess-my-liberal-arts-major.html")Guess My Liberal Arts Major(/a)
( = <
) = > I had to use different symbols to let you see it
Guess My Liberal Arts Major
Post a Comment