Today I am grateful for:
** The fact that if I had to go to work today, I could. The marvels of modern medicine continue to amaze me, despite my fundamental suspicion of the medical field as a whole. Of course, I'd have to be very creative with my wardrobe choices if I did have to return today (talk about interesting swelling!!), but I could definitely handle a day in the office if it were necessary.
** A solid constitution that allowed me to flush the Vicodin on Saturday (why on Earth did they give me so much? I had enough for two weeks of daily dosing!!) and ditch the ibuprofen today. Just having the Vicodin in the house gave me the willies, given the suicide attempt of my foster daughter's boyfriend (who started trying to overdose on Vicodin, but vomited. That's when he moved on to Plan B). The pain and inflammation at the surgical site is nothing compared to the pain I've been living with for the past several months, and I'm so happy and grateful that I don't need to take any meds.
** Being able to eat. Really eat. Hot and Sour soup Friday night when we got home from the hospital (heaven!), pizza on Saturday (nirvana!!), breakfast, lunch, and dinner yesterday. Food, one of the great loves of my life, is back in the picture and if I could do a little jig, I would.
** Poop. Just another one of those things I took for granted!! And I'm grateful that the return of muscle control and bowel health was not nearly as traumatic as I feared. Hooray, poop!
** Good protoplasm. My body's ability to heal itself is a wonder.
** A possible transfer. Some folks from work have emailed me, asking where I'm going because they heard that someone got promoted to take my current spot. Of course, I haven't heard a thing about it, but it does appear that I'm being transferred somwhere. I guess that means no promotion for me this year, but I am grateful that there's a good chance that I'm going to be escaping my current Purgatory soon. I hope it's a good move!!
** Two weeks to myself. Once the kids go back to school on Wednesday, I'm on my own. Of course, I have things to do... catch up on laundry, catch up on the bills, get my taxes done, get my car serviced, etc., etc. But I'm grateful for the time to do those things, grateful that I'll be able to do them in relative solitude, and grateful that I can do them at my own pace. I have a new front tire on my bike, and I'm going to fit some riding time in there as well. Maybe I'll take a road trip and try to catch up with some folks I haven't seen in a while! Maybe I won't! It's up to me!!!!!
** My dogs. They always do a lot for me, despite the fact that they are vastly underappreciated by other members of the household. During the past three days, they have curled up next to me wherever I've landed, and have guarded me like the incredible sentinels they were bred to be. If I've been on the couch, they were with me, growling and baring their teeth at anyone who tried to invade my space (much to MSU's chagrin). If I've been in bed, they've been curled up at the door, preventing anyone from disturbing me. When I'm moving around, I'm flanked by the two of them, their heads and bodies within easy reach to steady me should I stumble or falter. Again I marvel at their intuition, their compassion, and their loyalty.
I am truly blessed!
Monday, February 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
YOU FLUSHED A TWO WEEK SUPPLY OF VICODIN?!! OMG! Do you know how much we could have gotten for it on the black market? Me neither, hell I don't even know where that market is. :|
It sounds like things are going better than expected, which is a wonderful thing.
*skipping the poop comment*
HURRAY on the possible(?)transfer! Any change at this point sounds like it would be welcomed. I think you deserved a promotion but the bastards never asked me :(
I'm hoping for more bike riding and less laundry. :)
Most of all I'm just happy you're feeling better, eat up!!! :D
Welcome back :)
We are grateful for you...get better soon!
Post a Comment