It appears that I'm going to have two weeks to myself very soon, and I've been kicking around an idea for a short book. I'm thinking that the recovery time I'll have after surgery is a perfect time to start - and finish! - that project.
I have an outline and an introduction. It's not going to be a long book, because it doesn't need to be. I have no idea if it's going to be something that people will want to read or not, but I'm going to give it the ol' college try.
Here's the introduction:
"In reality, this book needs to be only a few pages. I think back to a Saturday Night Live skit featuring Bob Newhart, who portrayed a psychiatrist who charged $75.00 per session and guaranteed the client would need only one session. Enter the client, who related that her fear of “being buried alive in a box” was ruining her life. Bob, in the role of the doctor, said, “Stop it.”
It seems simplistic, but the same philosophy can be applied to the prevalent concept of self known as “victim.” Though the syndrome isn’t limited to women, women seem to demonstrate the self-concept most thoroughly. I hear statements like, “He’s so much bigger than I am,” and “What was I supposed to do?” every day. So, when women come to me and say, “I feel so vulnerable,” or “I’m terrified that someone is going to rob me,” it’s very difficult for me to refrain from saying, “Stop it!”
The fear of being a victim of violent crime is the common denominator in many of my conversations with women. Women feel that they are targets for criminals, and many have undertaken a complete change in their lifestyle to avoid this perceived threat. Some women have stopped using Automatic Teller Machines entirely, fearing that they will be “held up” as they access their accounts. Some women won’t even consider going to a shopping mall after dark, fearing that they will be kidnapped in their own car or robbed in the vast expanse of parking lot. Most women I’ve spoken to refuse to walk anywhere, at any time, fearing that they will be accosted, raped, robbed, or otherwise victimized. Perhaps most troubling is that the majority of women I’ve spoken with about this topic advised that they would not consider intervening in a crime against another person – even a child! - regardless of whether the criminal in question was or was not visibly displaying a weapon.
All I can say is “Stop it!” Stop seeing yourself as a victim. Stop being exactly what criminals expect you to be. Stop believing that you are weak, vulnerable, and easily overpowered. Stop letting fear control your life right here, right now. It's time to take back the night, and I’ll show you how."
Saturday, February 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think a book is a great idea. The way you write, you should have many under your belt by now.
The introduction sounds great. You could have given me two life times and I couldn't have written anything even close to that good.
What an exciting project!
I have to say I would never walk around in the dark on my own. Not because I see myself as a victim but because I don't want to put myself in any uneccesary danger. I know they're winning by making me act differently :(
I hope you get better soon.
Thanks, RT. :-)
Time Traveller, I'm glad you're here!
You're not alone, and I'm not saying avoidance of unnecessary danger is a BAD thing; in fact, it's a smart thing. But what you - and most people! - fail to realize is that, as a law-abiding citizen, you have the advantage. Always. Period. Being smart about your habits and your surroundings is good. Living in fear is bad. I hope to bust some myths and help some people realize the power and advantage they really do have. Crime statistics will NOT go down until people stop expecting to be victimized.
:-)
:) sorry it took so long.
I know I'm wrong and it's playing into their hands. The thing is I'm quite a confident person I wouldn't not go somewhere or not do something because of someone else. If I had trainers on I would walk home alone because I know I can run faster than him :) If I had stillettos on I'd catch a taxi home.
I guess what I'm saying is I don't live in fear as such but I do change my behaviour.
I heard a few stats sometime ago:
1. Girls with long hair are more likely to be attacked (easier grab and to control)
2. Girls who look scared are more likely to be attacked (look like they won't put up a fight)
3. Most attackers run away if you shout and scream.
Interesting? If I see someone looking dodgy I always look them straight in the eye. That usually scares them off. Maybe a reason why I'm single :)
Your statistics are very much correct... though I can't validate the one about long hair. Women (and men, for that matter) who appear to not be paying attention, who seem distracted, who appear timid, and who have their hands full or stuff (purses, cell phones, umbrellas, etc) are most likely to be the victim of a street crime. A confident step, hands free and ready, and the appearance of taking in details (looking passersby in the eye, clearly and obviously noting suspicious behavior and taking an obvious visual inventoary of the person exhibiting it) will go a long way in deterring the attention of street criminals.
As I said, being a law-abiding citizen doing your own thing puts you at an advantage. Criminals who are planning or executing a crime on the street KNOW that their actions have to be rather surreptitious. Yelling, running (still yelling - directives! not just wordless yelling), and directing the attention of others will generally make a would-be attacker seek another victim. Of course, the greatest advantage tha tyou have is the fact that a street criminal has NO IDEA who he's really dealing with - you will ALWAYS have the element of surprise because the criminal EXPECTS you to be scared. Use it!!!
Post a Comment