Yesterday, while sitting in my office typing madly away, two of the student workers that this building is infested with were sitting about 30 feet away in the "bullpen." They were talking loudly and rather irreverently and obviously were unaware of my proximity and presence. I was getting sort of tired of their sophomoric banter (trying to remember that they are, after all, 20 years old or some such ridiculous age), and was taking a break from my typing to think of a project for them that would keep them both seperate and quiet, when one of them asked, "there are no POs here, are there?"
Thinking she needed help, I shouted out, "I'm here!"
At that point, the first girl lowered her voice and said to the other girl, much like the 5-year-old who doesn't realize that sound travels, "Who is that????"
The other girl said, also sotto voce and in a tone one would reserve for referring to someone with grandiose delusions, "Oh, she's not a PO. She's a SENIOR Officer. She's old."
Friday, May 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Niiiiice.
Dunderheads.
It's just another one of those moments that makes me wonder if I was that obnoxious as a young woman.
Sad to say, I'm sure I was.
HA HA HA! Sorry to laugh but I've been the butt of some old age jokes lately. I feel your pain :)
Maybe they were talking about another senior officer, that's old...er.
What's a PO?
PO = Probation Officer.
So, my "official" title is Senior Probation Officer. Most folks just refer to us as "Seniors."
Post a Comment