Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Relationship Apocalypse or Mid-Life Crisis?

I'm not even sure why I'm here. Maybe it's the loss of all my pictures, poetry, miscellaneous writings, resumes, inspiring forwarded e-mails, and bookkeeping records, which I have been grieving for since my peculiar electromagnetic field killed my hard drive two weeks ago (the tech we hired to recover the files told my husband that she'd never seen a drive so corrupted, "like someone waved a high-powered magnet over it." My husband glared at me, smiled at her). Perhaps I'm looking for a place to deposit work - in my case, "work" - where it can't be corrupted by my own body's bizarre sabotage and won't just disappear if my kids download an OS-annhiliating virus along with the song-du-jour from whatever bootleg service they're using these days. Maybe my 40th birthday, looming just on the horizon and obviously ready to attack, is affecting my mood in more than just the academic sense. Maybe the fact that my husband of 16 years has decided to take a job across the Pacific Ocean (leaving in my all-too-capable hands every responsibility for every aspect of OUR life while he covorts along the beaches of Waikiki) is weighing more heavily on my mind than I'd like to admit. Above all this, though... and outside of all the craziness that encompasses a "normal" life in Southern California... I think I just yearn (yes, really yearn) to connect. And though I don't believe anyone is going to read my pathetic little online journal and find a revelation, I do think that this is as good a way to connect as any. So here I am.

More rambling to come.

No comments: