The sky cries when I do
the sorrow of the atmosphere
(too much pressure, you know)
a natural and violent response
to the disappointment of the gods.
How ridiculous, you say
that my insignificant tears
would trigger Heaven's downpour,
that my paltry personal pain
could have such universal effect;
as if I alone could control
some indeterminate stretch of space
with trite human emotion.
Still, perhaps you've noticed
that the sky cries when I do.
Divine presence made known to me
in wind and wet and chill:
our tears commingle in common
as the air howls in sympathy
caressing my skin in cyclical bursts,
sucking and pushing at my clothing,
so I may stand naked and cleansed.
The sky cries when I do
the life of the world bursting forth
from the bulging gray belly
of the universal gateway;
the anguish of the effort
(water and air torn apart to birth the rain)
the evidence of my creation.
Carefully crafted by the cosmos am I:
star and space, heaven and Earth
joined in me by ethereal design.
No one save I compelled to recognize
that the sky cries when I do.
No saviour but I to myself, the world
but nonetheless forged human.
Object of Grace, yet subject to sorrow,
perfection encased in cellular disarray.
The gods weep for my temporary disorganization
and their own fury for such experimental embodiment,
my tears the shameful provenance
of a promise left vaguely unkept.
Holy I am, self-denial itself denied;
the element of my momentary unworthiness
effectively hidden and lovingly masked -
the sky cries when I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment