Monday, August 06, 2007

A Quick Plea

It's come to my attention as I ride around town that people generally have no concept regarding their vehicle's safety equipment.

Take horns, for example. Your automobile's horn is designed to be heard by another motorist while he or she is encased in their own car, with the windows up and the air or heat on, probably listening to music and not really paying attention. After all, that's when the horn is necessary, right? It stands to reason that your car's horn is pretty loud, right?

Now, imagine that you are riding a motorcycle next to an SUV. The person driving the SUV happens to think you're hot, or perhaps likes your pink flamed helmet or pink custom leathers. The SUV's driver hits the horn in order to gain your attention so they can impart their appreciation of you, your helmet, or your leathers.

People on motorcycles are not entombed in a hermetically sealed vehicle that is designed to cut down on as much road noise as possible. In fact, motorcycle riders are not protected from all kinds of noise - wind noise, freeway noise, noise from other people's radios, noise from other people's mouths. Motorcylclists don't have the luxury of tuning the world out as they ride. And an enthusiastic fan blasting their horn 20 inches from a motorocyclist's head is going to do more than get their attention - it might get them killed.

Folks, I can not adequately describe what it's like to hear an automobile horn at close range while riding a motorcycle. It's terrifying. It's shocking. It's like the Hand of God squeezing your eardrum and ripping out your spleen all at the same time. It's paralyzing. And it guarantees that the cyclist will react - and perhaps not in a fashion that saves lives.

Please - use your horn ONLY in emergencies! Not when you're pissed, not when you're horny, not when you're overcome with the urge to let the motorcyclist know that you think he or she is cool.

I, personally, prefer the "thumbs-up" or a friendly wave. I won't look as cool with my skin shredded and my head squished. And as cool as titanium legs are, I don't want one.

Thanks.

7 comments:

David said...

LOL!!! Very dangerous indeed. I know what you're saying and I've never understood the honk or the whistle as a way to get a girls attention that is zooming away from you.

Of course a hot chick on a motorcycle is a hard thing to ignore and you definitely fit that description :)

Just be careful out there!

Daughter of Night said...

I'm doing MY part, RT! It's everyone else that I'm paranoid about!! :-)

Jen said...

My horn doesn't always work.
:(
I also have had the lovely experience of hearing the horn while on a motorcycle, and you pegged it exactly! It's scary.

You have my solemn vow that I will stalk the hot chicks on motorcycles until they get to the red light at which time I will express my love by shouting!! :-D I'm better when I have 'em cornered in traffic anyways.
*grin*

Daughter of Night said...

Jen, your efforts at creative stalking are much appreciated. ;-)

Jen said...

I try to do my part.
:-D

The Gunslinger said...

What sort of Bike? I rode a Harley Sportster for years!

I learned on an old 750 BSA...without suspension! (My eyeballs bounced on rough roads like a cartoon character's.)

I finally gave it up when they passed the helmet law in California.

MY way or NOT the Highway, I guess.

Daughter of Night said...

You can see a picture of my bike in a post from February ("It's FInished!!")

For the time being, anyway... it's up for sale. It's a 2006 Yamaha Stratoliner 1900. Great bike!

I'd wear a helmet even if it weren't the law - I've been in EMS too long and am too aware of my own limitations not to. But I know lots of people who agree with you!!

With gas prices the way they are, riding just makes sense!!