Friday, September 07, 2007

A Requested "Definition of Marriage"

So, here's yet another opportunity for me to be unpopular. I've been asked to define "marriage."

Understand, before I even start, that I grew up in a non-traditional religion; or rather, I grew up in a traditional religion that didn't make the trans-Atlantic voyage with some of my "other" ancestors. I was taught to respect all paths to Godhead, and part of that teaching stems from the fact that some who bore my name before me stayed in the British Isles and some came here to avoid religious persecution of their Puritan beliefs. Those Puritan ancestors burned part of their own heritage with the "witches" (read midwives and healers) they accused during The Burning Times.

So I am personally unaffected by Judeo-Christian dogmas, though they are incorporated into my life by American society and by my husband's Catholic upbringing. I am stuck in the middle between the ancient and humanistic belief that I am NOT seperate from Deity and the rules of this society that stem primarily from years of religious teaching that separates the Human from the Divine.

And I think I've done really well in being fair about the whole thing.

Marriage, at its heart, is a business contract. People can - and do! - love each other passionately and for life without ever committing to the contract that is marriage. Marriage means that I am willing and able to give you my love, my trust, and my body... but it also means that I am willing to give you my paycheck, my medical benefits, the care of my children, and co-ownership of my property. It also means that I am willing to take on my spouse's responsibilities as my own and willing to share the burden of poor decision making when it comes down to a legal matter. In my opinion, marriage has nothing whatsoever to do with Love. Marriage is a partnership. It is a matter of mutual respect.

Love is something else. Something seperate and distinct. For some nonsensical reason we have incorporated this emotion with sense but no reference into a list of prerequisites for a business contract, knowing full well that the concept, by it's very definition, is wholly subjective and in general a poor state to make lifetime decisions in. But that's the "rule," so we go with it.

So, MSU and I met, each of us coming out of previous marriages wherein many life lessons were learned. In mine, I learned that "faithfulness" is an empty concept and an unreasonable expectation. I also learned that Love does NOT conquer all. Mostly, I learned that it's really, really important to come to the long-term relationship table with a comprehensive list of what the expectations are - because "vowing" to "love, honor, and cherish" becomes a relative set of terms pretty quickly.

In his, he learned the same. But his Catholic upbringing and ingrained sense of guilt did not allow him to realize the basic humanity of his decisions or those of his ex-wife. In this sense, he was unable to take the lessons of his first marriage to heart.

So, we decided that we loved one another. We co-habitated (under extrememly secretive circumstances, which may be discussed in a later blog) and found that we were effective living partners. We came to the conclusion that marriage - a formalized contract of the in-place living system - was the next step. Which, for me, was a huge decision to have to make at age 22. He had children from his previous marriage. He had an egregiously bitter ex-wife that was ALWAYS going to be in the picture re: the children. Neither of us had any money.

So, I asked for a compromise. We would marry in the normal legal contract sort of way, and then we would Handfast. Much to the chagrin of his parents, MSU agreed. And I advised MSU that I would not take "traditional" marriage vows, as it was my belief and my experience that they are empty promises - with no real meaning - and that the expectation to make promises that most human beings - flawed, biologically driven, animalistic human beings - can't possibly hope to keep "forever and ever, Amen" was an unecessary social control that I refused to take into my marriage bed. I asked MSU to only make promises in our Handfasting that he was SURE he was willing and able to keep, and I swore I would do the same.

If you've read the entirety of my blog, you'll see that this is where MSU went wrong in more than one sense of the word. For him, it wasn't really "marriage" unless he made a bunch of promises that he didn't know at the time if he'd be able to keep. I, again, blame this on his dogmatic upbringing. I asked for "realistic." I asked for "humanly possible." I asked for very little, in fact, because a promise is a PROMISE and I expect them to be kept. He felt that the marriage itself had no validity unless he swore to a perfection that is not humanly possible.

He promised "undying faithfulness." He promised "no others before you." He promised to "protect your interests as my own." He promised "I will love you and no one else until the day I die."

Very sweet, indeed. But words only, yes?

I promised "to love you." I promised to "care for your children as my own and incorporate your family into mine." I promised to "allow you the freedom to chase your dreams." I promised to "never decieve you and trust you to know the truth." I promised that "our family and our interests will always be my first priority." I promised to "honor your feelings, understand your beliefs, and earn your respect."

Not so romantic, I'll freely admit.

And despite what anyone may think given some of my actions, I have never broken a single one of these promises. MSU has broken every single one of his - and many more that came after. Do I love him less? Of course not. I continue to encourage him to be honest with himself, understand his limitations, and be gentle with himself in his own expectations.

With our agreements and promises in place, we completed our handfasting ritual with this ancient passage:

"Beloved, I seek to know of you; and ask that I be given the wisdom to see you as you are, and to love you as a Mystery. I will take joy in you; I delight in the taste of you.

You are to me the whispering of the tides, the seduction of summer's heat. You are my friend, my lover.

Grow old and wise with me! - a life before us of rainbows and sunsets... and a willingness to share sanity and sadness.

I love you."

That passage alone incorporates my "definition of marriage."

15 comments:

Jen said...

Not unpopular with me either.
I understand, and agree with a great deal of what you said.

"He promised "undying faithfulness." He promised "no others before you." He promised to "protect your interests as my own." He promised "I will love you and no one else until the day I die."

Very sweet, indeed. But words only, yes?"

Yes. Very sweet and only words.

Good post.

harbinger said...

Only words yes, but it is possible to go by your word, it's a choice like everything else. When followed, it's a wonderful thing.

Jen said...

When followed... but why force yourself to follow those words? There are millions of things your relationship can become. Some beautiful, sensual, and fantastic. It doesn't have to be "undying faithfulness" or "I'll never love another".
You know?
It's just as easy to find your perfect mate with, "I'll always care for you" or "I'll do my best to earn your love".
:-D

Daughter of Night said...

*nodding and pointing and nose*

Exactly!!!

It's the realistic promises that mean so much. It's the words that equate to real-life issues and situations, not empty concepts, that have significant import. I'm not asking for "undying faithfulness" because the MEANING of that changes on a whim - my whim, his whim, the whim of circusmtance, etc. In some definitions, promising "undying faithfulness" could give a person reason to lambaste a spouse for looking at porn and/or having masturbatory fantasies that include other people. Not in MY definition, but I've heard of it.

Ridiculous! Ludicrous! UNREASONABLE!!

Yes, we have "free will" to choose... but only from the options that are presented to our consciousness AT THE TIME. And times change, friends. Indeed they do.

:-)

harbinger said...

I'm not forcing myself to keep my word to my wife that I'll be faithful to her I'm just staying faithful to her. These are feelings we both have always had for each other, even before marriage. I guess we could have said, "well we'll try not to fuck around on each other" then that would have given us the "oh well we tried" excuse when one of us wanted to wander, but I think it would be more decent to state such intentions beforehand as to lessen the blow somewhat, don't you think.
If you think this is an empty concept then monogamy perhaps is not your cup of tea.

Daughter of Night said...

HB, I'm not attacking your choice! I think it's marvelous and rare that you and your wife have maintained your marriage EXACTLY how you've wanted it all this time. You are a good example, to say the least!

My point is, monogamy is NOBODY'S "cup of tea." That's why you have to make a conscious decision to do it... and keep making that decision over and over throughout your life if the concept (and the promise) is important to you. Monogamy IS NOT the natural human state, and thus is one of the hardest drives to overcome. To expect someone to PROMISE to do so - FOR LIFE - is, in my opinion, an unreasonable expectation.

Of course, as you and I have pointed out several times, deception is the most damaging attack on a relationship. And it is deception that is usually at the heart of any "faithfulness" matter, in my opinion.

But, as I stated, I didn't make any promises in that regard... AND I stated my intentions before hand... AND the trust in my marriage (what was left of it at that point, anyway) still suffered an incredible blow, despite the fact that my husband and I chose to "separate" so i could explore my angst. He still refers to that time as my "affair," though it was not any such thing.

Unreasonable, given his own penchant for promise-breaking? Absolutely.

It's an empty concept because the definition has sense but no reference... the concept itself is changeable depending on someone's emotional state at the time... and because very few of us (you, for example), are able to incorporate the "concept" into "real life" successfully.

I personally congratulate your and your wife for making your concepts REAL. :-)

David said...

I have no problem with the set-up apparently both of you, daughter and Jen, had going into your marriages. As a matter of fact, I can even respect the honesty of it.

I do have to say it's not for me. I got married because I love my wife. You say love is not enough? Your right! There is a hell of a lot of work to keep it going. So what? It's worth it and part of what makes it worth it is the special things we share with just each other.

I didn't go into my marriage expecting to fail or grow apart. I said my vows and meant them and I plan to keep them as well. Because I want to. I didn't leave my options open in case "something better came along" because I wanted my wife to know I was in it for life. Unrealistic? Not at all, not on my part anyway. Of course I can't control what she does but I'm not going to go ahead and plan for her to be unfaithfully before it happens so I don't have to feel I'm not enough or we aren't enough.

Time and situations do change but our values, principles and convictions don't have to. Not for people who are committed to something bigger than themselves. Could my marriage ever fail? Sure, but I'm not going to remove some of the possible stumbling blocks that, in the end, make it so special. Just call me old fashion, no wait... call me committed.

:-)

David said...

Ha! daughter, we were both on at the same time ;)

Daughter of Night said...

I really feel like what I'm saying and what folks are getting are two different things.

"Committed" is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!

Committed - come rain, come shine, come poor decisions, come endless dental work, come liaisons with the ex-wife, come separations that somehow get defined as "affairs," come actual affairs that were lied about for YEARS, come job changes every two years, come lengthy periods of unemployment, come accumulation of bills that the paychecks don't support, come requests to ex-girlfriends for naked pictures, come jail bookings, come drinking too much, come repeated lying and deciet, come ANY and ALL of it - I COMMITTED to it.

And I did it without bringing in a bunch of bullshit promises that, in reality, don't mean a freaking thing.

The promises I made - and have kept! - mean that I am COMMITTED TO HIM FOR LIFE. Until he tells me differently (which he has, over and over again... he changes his mind about this relationship about as frequently as he changes his socks).

If he chooses to be "faithful," GREAT. Fabulous! That would make my life a whole lot easier!!!!!! If he doesn't, I am still COMMITTED. I will still honor my promises because they are PROMISES.

I think Jen (forgive me Jen if I've misunderstood you)and I are talking about a level of COMMITMENT that goes way BEYOND what is traditionally purported to be the "be all end all" of relational bliss.

The fact that MSU and i are still married after all of this shit demonstrates a level of COMMITMENT that frankly, RT, you have no(dare I say the word at this point??) concept of. By taking "traditional" marriage vows, you've left yourself PLENTY of "outs," including 'outs" for marital indiscretions that can be attributed to the emotional supernova I previously described and to a myriad of other politically incorrect states of consciousness. After all, that's "no way to live," right??

Marriage is not "bigger than ourselves." It IS ourselves. And actually committing to ALL of that - the good, the bad, the ugly, and the indifferent - is, in my humble opinion, WHAT IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE.

I've committed to a HUMAN man. WIth needs, with desires, with foibles, with a trunk of pain that compares to my own. I don't expect him to be perfect. THAT'S the point.

:sigh:

I don't mean to be harsh. I just feel very misunderstood right now.

harbinger said...

Of course marriage IS ourselves, I just can't figure out is, why you think your commitment is so necessary. If it has caused you so much pain and misery, why wouldn't you seek out a partner that will commit as you commit. Your happiness in your life is of utmost importance.

Bullshit promises are only bullshit promises if you break them but if you are being treated badly it is quite alright to break yours.

It means very little if in the end you have kept your word and led an unhappy life committed to a person unworthy of your commitment.

David said...

I don't think I'm misunderstanding you. I'm not questioning your commitment either.

You defined what marriage was to you and committed yourself to it. As I've said, I understand it and respect it. I wish more people would define marriage before they enter into it.

The point I'm trying to discuss is that being faithful is a strong part of my marriage and many others. It's not unrealistic, its not an empty concept and it is not forced upon me unnaturally. It is the cornerstone of a traditional marriage and many people, right or wrong, see faithfulness as the most important promise one can make and give to their spouse.

As far as what "level of commitment" I do or do not understand? I'll agree that there is no way I could know what you and the MSU have been through. At the same time I doubt you have any idea of the trials and tribulations of my marriage. Yes, we have been tested, in some case more than I thought we could bare but we did.

And no, we have not left ourselves anyway out, at all! Because for us to have a marital indiscretion or any other broken vow would be proof that our marriage has failed. Our only 'out' is failure. After the realization that our marriage as we defined it is over, to try and live as if it were the same would be "no way to live".

So please understand I'm not judging you. Being different from me is not wrong in my book, and definitely not wrong in this case. It's a big world, with room for more than one way to accomplish something but at the same time I don't want to give the impression that, IN MY LIFE, my marriage is not realistic and not defined exactly the way I want it to be.

And don't worry about being harsh. Real conversations sometimes require real emotions. What could be wrong with that among friends? I understand and appreciate your passion :)

Daughter of Night said...

I've done some of the "bad treatment," too, HB. :-) That's part of the reason i was so embarassed - having remade our relationship over and over again - to read that Dr. Laura book!! :-)

Gentlemen, please understand that you two are anomalies in my experience. Given the nature of my current and past jobs, I have been surrounded by men and treated as "one of the guys" my whole life. And in my WHOLE LIFE, I've personally known ONE MAN who has been married for over five years who has been "faithful" to his "marriage vows" and to his spouse. ONE.

Now three. :-)

And the numbers of women I've known (though limited) don't have much better statistics.

This is, of course, only my personal experience. That is why the promise of "faithfulness" in a marriage contract seems to me to be an empty concept.

I do believe that EVERYONE means it when they say it.

RT, I wasn't attacking you and I'm sorry if it came off that way. What I meant to do was challenge your belief that breaking of a marriage "vow" means the "marriage has failed." I am living proof that that is not the case, and thus staunch in my belief that people who truly love one another can see past their respective "humanness" and still spend their lives together.

That's all. I am glad you and HB live life on your terms and according to your CHOICE instead of your WHIM. Bless you both. :-)

Jen said...

"I think Jen (forgive me Jen if I've misunderstood you)and I are talking about a level of COMMITMENT that goes way BEYOND what is traditionally purported to be the "be all end all" of relational bliss."

No misunderstanding.
Sorry I was late with this comment. I would have jumped in sooner but...

Daughter of Night said...

no worries, Jen... I was probably overreacting anyway. ;-)

Jen said...

I don't know if it was an overreaction. We all seem to be adult enough to talk about things we have different views on luckily.
It's hard none the less to explain a concept that's foreign to someone. Add to that the extra hurdle of having to do it in text. There are a lot of things we use in person, body language, hand gestures, emphasis on words, that make us easier to understand.

So, getting stoked about something you're passionate about is understandable... :)