Monday, May 12, 2008

Chemical Dependency and a Small Victory

My hair started going gray when I was 15. It was cool back then, but once I hit 30 (and was about 40% gray), I decided to start coloring.

Since then, I've gone throught the gamut... ultra-blonde, close-to-my-natural-blonde, auburn, nothing-in-Nature-is-this-color-red, and most recently several futile attempts to regain my natural color. This task was difficult, because it entailed 1) remembering what my natural color IS, and 2) stripping my hair of all the old color.

Stripping took a long time and left me with hair that was devoid of all pigment, including natural pigment. Each time I attempted to dye it to a color close to my own, it came out very brassy because of the lack of natural pigment.

Two color cycles ago, I let the hair grow out much longer than I usually do, just to get a really good look at the roots in order to verify what the natural color is at this point. Guess what? The natural color is 100% GRAY. Well, not quite 100%... some of the hair is white.

It occurred to me to just shave it off and start over. Thinking that I really liked my Sinead O'Connor hair when I had it, I still wasn't quite ready to go to that extreme. Instead, I chose to try to dye my hair gray.

Yes, gray.

The first attempt, two weeks ago, resulted in daily-swimmer-green. I walked around like that for two weeks, playing it off like I did it on purpose (which, in a manner of speaking, I did).

Today, I went big. I bought 8.12 "Moonlit blonde," the darkest blue-violet drabber I could find, and a bottle of 12% peroxide developer. I mixed them up with 2 parts color to 1 part drabber and applied.


Voila! 100% gray hair!






4 comments:

Jen said...

Hey!! I like it!
:)

And it's about time you posted more pictures.
;)

Time Traveller said...

I never thought I'd say this about grey hair, but it looks cool! and it goes with your eyes. x

David said...

YOU LOOK MARVELLOUS!

That took some guts. I'm not sure too many women could pull it off but as usual, you did. :)

Thinking that I really liked my Sinead O'Connor hair when I had it

One word here: PICTURES!!! :D

Daughter of Night said...

enjoying the mostly silent reactions I'm getting from people. I can see them looking and can watch their facial expressions (which range from confusion to disgust), but only one person has commented. When I told her that i did it on purpose, she said, "You're so retarded."

No pics of the Sinead O'Connor days... I wouldn't let anyone take my picture because the rest of me really looked like shit. It was about a year before I recovered enough to feel comfortable about photos. I kept short hair for a while, but all of those pics got lost in the Great Hard Drive Crash of 2006.