Today I tried locking the door.
This is not as easy as it sounds, because it means I have to use a bathroom in a different part of the house. My bathroom is attached to my bedroom and doesn't have a separate door. In order to lock the door for privacy in my bathroom, I have to lock the door to the bedroom, eliminating access to that room entirely.
So, after sitting in traffic for over an hour on my way home from work, I went straight to the bathroom on the other side of the house, locked the door, and - believing these measures stringent enough to ensure my privacy and an uninterrupted bodily function sortie - went about my business.
Beyond the door, I could hear the phone ringing. Two seconds later, my daughter was knocking on the door.
"Yes??"
"Mom, Mr. Frank is on the phone."
"Okay, and....?"
"Well, do you want to talk to him??"
"Honey, I'm in the bathroom! Can I just call him back?"
I could hear muttering, then, "Yes, he says you can call him back, but you know I talk to my friends all the time when I'm on the toilet."
As she walked away, I once again settled in to git 'er done. Less than a minute later, footsteps approached. My husband.
He stood outside the door for a couple of seconds. Then he tried the knob. Then he knocked.
"Yes??"
"Are you all right??"
"Of course. I'm just using the bathroom."
"Oh. Well, do you want me to go get her (my younger daughter) at daycare?"
"No, I'll get her when I'm finished."
"OK. Are you sure you're okay? Why are you locked in there?"
"I'm fine. I'll be out in a minute." Why even bother to answer that last question????
At that point, I didn't even have to go any more. It was time to start dinner anyway.
You may have surmised - as I have!! - that locking the door isn't going to make much of a difference for me. Thanks to all for the suggestions, though!!
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This is just sad but I am laughing out loud :)
I have an image of the neighbors bringing over baked goods and your daughter letting them into the bathroom. You're all standing around talking, well not you you're sitting. I'm still laughing.
to choices here;
1. wait until they are on the toilet and walk in and take pictures of them and threaten to post them if they don't leave you alone.
2. keep locking the door until they get a clue, maybe post a sign saying you're ok.
I like # 1
*still laughing*
I was laughing too. What else can I do??? :-)
Those are situations you do not hear about everyday. What are the odds?
Post a Comment