Thursday, January 11, 2007

T Minus Nineteen

In nineteen days I'm going to begin a two-week (well, almost two week) vacation. It will be the longest period of time I've been away from work since I started this job over seven years ago. I've had several surgeries and didn't take that much time off for any of them.

A year ago, a thirteen day hiatus would never have crossed my mind. A year before that, I had to force myself to take a couple of days all at once.

Yes, I love my job. I really do.

More importantly is the fact that every day I don't show up, the work still does. And it seems to multiply itself exponentially each day I am absent. Any relaxation and improved outlook achieved during a vacation of any significant duration is instantly nullified by the first five minutes back in the office. So, in general, people who take more than one work week off are doing something truly fabulous, like traveling to New Zealand or adopting a Russian orphan. Anything else just isn't worth the crash.

No, I'm not planning to do anything truly fabulous with my thirteen days. I hope to have the house to myself for the majority of those days (kids at school, male spousal unit at work) and hope further to write badly, sing loudly, dance maniacally, and wear clothing only when absolutely necessary. I have also committed to forcing myself to completely ignore my work e-mail and voicemail for the entire duration of the vacation. I'm going to ride my motorcycle and swim at the gym. I'm going to get a spa pedicure. I'm going to shop at Neiman-Marcus like I belong there and I'm going to eat dessert like I can afford a new wardrobe. I'm going to forget how to be Senior Officer H******* and remember how to be me.

Worth the crash? I'm sure of it.

T minus 19... and counting.

2 comments:

David said...

Ah, finally something I truly know about. As I've told you I work in a family business which means they have total access to every minute of my life. I have worked here for twenty years now. In those twenty years I have only taken a week off for my honeymoon, each child born (to help my wife get over the c sections) and small four day weekends a few times a year. On these times I am off the phone never stops.

Well last year my wife laid down the law :) family vacations or they go without me. I went, it was great and when I got back to work, yes the work had piled up and there were all kinds of problems but I was ready to tackle them with renewed vigor. Well worth it for the memories and peace of mind. I will be doing it every year for now on.

Always remember even if you love your job it will never love you back. When you leave it, it will not cry and it will not miss you. It will keep churning out a work load for whomever decides to grab it. It may be satisfying and noble but it shouldn't be smothering.

Newt Gingrich (yes, that guy) said when asked if he was deeply effected when he stepped down as speaker of the house.

"No, because being speaker of the house does not define me. I am more than just that. I did not cease to exist when the job was over"

Wise words if you ask me.

Enjoy your time of and find other ways to define yourself the job will wait, I promise :)

Sorry this was so long.

Daughter of Night said...

I think I needed that perspective!!!! Thanks. ;-)