Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I'm Dreaming of a Wierd Christmas

It was such a strange Christmas this year. Still good, but very strange.


First, the Holiday Sing. This is my goofy annual holiday party where I make Hot Buttered Rum to get everyone lubed up and then make them sing Christmas carols with me. And it's a good time every year... kids everywhere, folks who would never have the chance to meet otherwise striking up meaningful conversations, and lots and lots of joyful noise.


The difference this year was that "the gang" was invited.


Which wasn't really a problem... except that the Las Vegas chapter showed up at 5 pm. Then some other folks showed up right after. Then a bunch of kids showed up (at least the kids helped finish the prep). The party wasn't even supposed to start until 7, but by that time most of the food was already gone. Which was weird.


Then, later, the gang hijacked my party and used it as a forum to induct the latest prospect. Again, it wasn't really a problem because it happened late in the evening after many of the guests had gone home. However, no one bothered to ASK me if it would be okay, especially considering that there were several people from work also at the party. And I had specifically told MSU that a condition of the gang being invited was that there were to be NO COLORS. It's apparent that that little tidbit somehow got neglected in the invitation process. Which was weird, but not really... considering.


Here they are, basking in their victory, after successfully commandeering my party. If only a few of them could take over so easily, imagine what they can do when all together????




But I got over it.


My eldest and her husband took my youngest from the party and kept her until Christmas. It was REALLY weird not having her around.


Christmas Eve I worked all day and was the Duty Officer to boot. The high point of the day was when I decided to clear the floor - I called down to Reception, told them that I was taking EVERY unit's duty, and told everyone still on the floor to go home. It was rather late in the day, so no one gave me too much trouble about it... and it felt like such a gift to see their eyes light up when I said "I've got your duty, go on home." So I had the entire floor to myself for 30 minutes until close of business. Totally weird.


When I got home, I found that Tamara was with her ex-boyfriend's family and wouldn't be home until the wee hours of the morning. Isabeau was still with Sandy and Jon. And Brittany went with her family. So it was just MSU and I on Christmas Eve, which was perhaps the weirdest part of the whole holiday... we didn't know what to do with ourselves, he and I. We just sort of milled about aimlessly, missing the kids. It was almost a relief to go to bed. This was about the time that I hatched a rudimentary plan to just blow off Christmas next year and take the family on a trip instead. Which was a weird thing to think.


Christmas morning, Tamara was the only one here. We had decided to do our family Christmas after the trip down south for dinner, so Sandy wouldn't have to mobilize at the butt-crack of dawn. We did our stockings, but again it was so strange without all the kids here. MSU's sister called to impose upon us for something at the last minute, which forced us all to rush to get ready and make a side trip before arriving at Grandma's at 11 to open presents there before moving on to MSU's ex-wife's house for dinner. Yes, you read that right. At Thanksgiving, she decided to have Christmas at her house. Her exact words were, "It's about time I did my part." Not in a position to argue, we all agreed she could have Christmas at her house this year. Which was... well... weird.


So, presents and egg nog at Grandma's, where we would normally stay for dinner and fellowship. Upon arriving, I realized that I had forgotten that my niece and nephew were in town and had awkwardly forgotten gifts for them as well. In a chaotic, unorganized flurry, gifts were opened and we all prepared to once again travel to another location. Christmas started to feel like a work day: rushing around, not sure if I've remembered everything, and trying desperately to fit every necessary event into a finite amount of time.


Off to MSU's ex's we went. She had obviously bitten off more than she could chew with this rather ill-concieved plan, and was noticably un-festive when we arrived. Despite the fact that she didn't have to cook anything (everyone else brought the whole dinner, including the ham), she managed to make whatever drama she was feeling the focal point of the day. Which, of course, was decidedly unholiday and pretty damn weird. We hurried through dishes, more presents, and a rather insincere holiday toast before once again packing up the car and heading out.


Back to our house we went. By the time the kids arrived to celebrate our Christmas and open gifts, everyone was tired, cranky, and already ready to get back in the car and go home. Gift opening was once again chaotic, with no rhyme or reason to it (which means I didn't get pictures and was unable to monitor what gifts came from whom so thank you notes go to the right folks), and I started sobbing when my son opened my gift to him, which I will explain as well as I can in the next post. Of course, everyone thought my inappropriate display of emotion was weird.

Then, suddenly, the house was empty again. My children were gone. It was very, very weird.

And I can't help but come back to the idea that perhaps a family trip next year would be better than this horrible rushing around. With what I spent on Christmas this year, we easily could have taken a nice trip to Idyllwild or the Redwood Forest, even Disneyland. Yes, it would be weird... but after this year, I have redefined the word.

3 comments:

Jen said...

My opinion, trip next year!

David said...

Weird!

I can't begin to tell you what level of hell the 'gang' would have thought they landed in if they would have done that at one of the wife's parties. You adapt well and have the patience of a saint.

I love family traditions like your buttered rum party :) and it sucks when time or someone, keeps you from continuing them the way you want to. :(

Then, suddenly, the house was empty again. My children were gone.

I don't look forward to those days. Well maybe a little bit ;)

Daughter of Night said...

Jen, I think we are on the same page. Not sure how I'll feel a year from now, but the trip idea keeps wiggling away in the back of my mind as a way to start a new tradition and perhaps keep my family together at the holidays!

RT, don't think for a second that a big, shrieking part of me didn't want to start whacking anyone in blue and grey... but they were invited, after all, and it's not their fault that MSU chose not to remember my one caveat (or chose not to pass it on). Plus, I figured if I didn't make a scene, it would just be over and we could move on. Still... grrr.

I used to thinkt hat I was looking forward tot he kids being gone and MSU and I having as much freedom as we want at the holidays. It just ain't so, brother.