Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Twice in One Day? She Must Be... Home

Update: It's after noon and I am still in my robe. I have absolutely no inclination to dress further than this.

Update: Thanks so much, those of you who have asked about my ongoing gastroenterological issues. I went to the Primary Care clinic on Friday, and was actually seen by MILITARY STAFF, which was a nice change. The doctor took a lot of time with me, we talked about ALL of my symptoms (even the ones that don't seem related or make much sense), and I had several vials of blood drawn for tests - CBC, cancer screening, test for h. pylori which is a bacterial infection that often causes ulceration of the stomach. I was referred to the Naval Medical Center for an upper GI (yuck) and colonoscopy (double yuck), which has been scheduled for January 15th (the earliest appointment available). I''m taking that whole day off from work too, even though I'll probably be finished and on the raod by 10:00 am... I just don't think I'm going to be in any shape to excercise patience with humanity after being invaded with cameras through two of my most prized and protected orifices.

Doc said that it sounds like an ulcer with a small chance that there might be a tumor or some other kind of lesion. She gave me "Nexium," which is "the little purple pill" that is advertised on some TV stations. It is supposed to inhibit the production of stomach acid and has actually also been proven to help heal existing ulceration of the stomach and esophagus. I was stoked and made the mistake of trying to eat like a normal person for a couple of days after starting the medication. Apparently, my trouble does not rest solely with acid production or ulceration, because the Nexium does diddly-squat for the pain and pressure I feel after eating even a tiny amount of food. But a girl's gotta eat, so I keep trying. I still have a lot of body fat to burn, so I'm not really worried about caloric intake at this point. Ha!

I tired to call yesterday to get the results of my labwork... If I have that h.pylori infection, I want to go back to get the antibiotics as soon as possible. After spending about twenty minutes on the phone trying desperately to say whatever the magic phrase is to actually be allowed to leave a message for my doctor (what an unreasonable request!!!) I finally was able to leave a message for the Triage Nurse, who is supposed to call me back within 72 hours. No matter that I could feasibly bleed to death in that time. But I am guessing that THEY would have called ME if the mysteries of my blood had revealed something to be concerned about or requiring further action.

So, for the time being, I'm back to square one. Barely any food, lots of pain and pressure, no information, and no sleep.

Update: I got all the Christmas wrapping finished! Well, at least the gifts that are available to be wrapped are wrapped. There is still a bit of shopping to do. Nothing like the last minute to ensure that our friends know we care about them by thoughtfully selecting their gifts! Ha!!

Update: For some time, I thought it was only the toilet in my bathroom that's possessed, but new information has surfaced that indicates that the entire room is possessed. I wish whatever entity it is would do some cleaning every once in awhile instead of just flushing toilets and opening cabinets. Hey, how about dumping some Ajax in that bowl before you flush it next time, Howdy??? Once you get that cabinet open, why not just put some of that crap on the counter away before you scuttle off to Purgatory to wait until it's time for your next toilet-flushing session??? Just a thought. I can't decide if I should do a house-cleansing or try to teach it how to use the bowl brush.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

From today's blogs it appears that while your tummy is still unhappy, the time away from work seems to have helped you mentally. :-)

David said...

I hope you're enjoying yourself because you're cracking me up. Well not about the stomach stuff, although there were a few funny things there too.

Seriously, keep going to the doctor and make sure they are doing what's best by you. I'll be on this coast doing my prayer thing :)

p.s. If the entity does clean your bathroom let it know I have a few it can haunt as well ;)

Jen said...

Nexium is kinda magical, but I agree it's not very helpful with pain. Thanks to the bastards who made it!

Hope you feel better soon. Bummer about the colonoscopy, but hopefully they'll find something easy to fix and you'll be back to tip top condition! I'm anxiously awaiting further updates.
:)

Daughter of Night said...

I'm still waiting for the "magical" part, Jen. But MSU has a point when he says that the little purple pill can't do anything in a couple of days about any ulcerations that are already there. So I'll just be patient and keep taking it. :-)

RT, if you've any idea how I can teleport the little endoplasmic freak to your place, I'll be happy to do it posthaste. Random toilet flushing and cabinets that routinely try to kill me are getting on my last nerve. :-)

Jen said...

Well you gotta believe in the magic baby!
*magic*
I'm trying to push some your way.

What's up with the ghost in your place? I missed a large portion of the story I suspect. Silly work keeps making me exhausted...