Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Another Wish Granted

This is the first year we've allowed the Desert Tortoises to hibernate for the entire winter outside. They have a little enclosure, and they've dug their own little tunnel where they disappear into the depths of the earth underneath the garage, where it is presumably somewhat warm. This is what they do in the wild, and we figured we better stop "babying" them, just in case they ever escape (which would be horrible and expensive, but due to their tunneling nature is quite possible).

It's been raining quite a bit this year, and I've been worried about the little guys. We put a cover over the mouth of the tunnel entrance so they wouldn't be flooded out, but I still worried. It's gotten pretty darn cold, too. I've been afraid I'd never see them again... that they'd freeze or drown or whatever down in the depths and I'd never be able to dig far enough to find them.

Today, for whatever reason, they came out. I offered them food and water, and they have since returned to the bowels of the earth.

Today I am grateful to know that the tortoises are okay.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Back in the day when we had our tortoise, I figured if I ever made an outdoor pen for him it might work to dig four or five feet into the ground, put some chicken wire down, and then fill in the earth.
That way they'd be as close to their natural element as they could get without actually escaping.

It solves not only the tunneling issue, but also protects against anything that might accidentally burrow into their space.

Or that's how it works in my head... (which I've often proven isn't always how real life works.)

I'm really glad your little guys are safe! It's nice to have one less thing to worry about.
{{{{{Daughter}}}}}

Daughter of Night said...

We have purchased all the items necessary to make their enclosure larger and more "safe." We've had the stuff for over a year.

:::sigh:::

We plan to dig a five-foot trench all the way around the enclosure area and fill it with cement. Unfortunately, we are also plagued with ground squirrels, and they will have no problem connected their tunnels with any the tortoises dig, even with the cement.

I live in fear that the little guys will just leave and I'll never find them.

SO I'm actually liking your chicken wire idea, because it seems to mek more sense that the concrete... we can dig the entire enclosure area down about 4 feet, spread the chicken wire, and then fill... that will solve the tortoise and the squirrel problem. I think.

I'll need to rent a Cat, but that'll be fun. :-)

I was very happy to see them yesterday... nad totally cracking up at how SSSSSLLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW they were... they were barely even awake!!!

Jen said...

A trench would work in theory but I agree, if you have tunneling animals besides those little guys, eventually something will connect their holes and off they go.

The chicken wire seems like it would keep them in and anything else out. I can't think of anything that would make it through the fence. Persistence, and the strength necessary to get through the wire probably aren't traits that squirrels have.

I'm interested to see how it goes.
I know how it is to have the stuff sitting there to do the job but no time (or drive) left to actually accomplish it...