Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Solution, of a Sort

So, after several man-hours, several bleeding fingers, several blown fuses, and several unladylike utterances, here is my final solution for the Mystery of the Signals:



No external back signals at all.

Heartbreaking, really, since I had just purchased the new housings and LEDS. But this is the only way I could get it to work, and I was out of new fuses.

Now I'll have to find something to cover that ridiculous divot in my fender! I have little chrome caps that go in the bolt holes, but they just aren't cutting it. I'll figure something out.

3 comments:

David said...

That is a shame :(

I still think the tail light was connecting the two circuits.

Maybe later you can put the external back lights back on and connect them to the wires connected to the front ones. That would work if you could hide the wires that far.

Good job though. If I would have been working on it the bike would have more than just the divot left. It wold have dents all over. Electrical problems SUCK!

Daughter of Night said...

Yes, I think so too. But I'll be damned if I can find out why. A friend foudn the wiring schematic from Kawasaki and sent it to me. I printed it out and mapped the two systems... as it turns out, the turn signal wires are connected only to each other (front and back). The two wires go through the whole harness to connect the four signals. The only other place those two wires go is into the left handlebar control switch. So I don't have to connect them, because they already are.

I think I may have compromised a resistor somewhere with all my experimentation. And I can't help but think that it all goes back to my initial decision to take the connector the light came with off and put on the OEM connector. I guess I should have actually CHECKED to see that it wouldn't fit instead of just looking at it and DECIDING it wouldn't fit.

Either way, MSU is super-pissed at me for "killing" the Rogue. I reminded him that he abdicated any right to make decisions about the Rogue when he bought the Ultra and forced me sell my bike and take his "cast off." I also reminded him that stuff like this happens and just because I'm not a professional doesn't mean that the same thing wouldn't have happened to someone who is. He's still pissed, though.

:::SIGH::::

At least the stupid thing works now.

David said...

I'm still scratching my head about how the front ones worked correctly and the rears ones wouldn't. Oh well...

I saw this as an idea for your divot

http://www.gadgetjq.com/jh_nomad_baglights_rearview_unlighted.jpg

It was on this page

http://www.gadgetjq.com/jh_nomad_baglights.htm

I'm just talking about the divot here not the bag lights. You could also buy a small LED light to bolt there.

As for the MSU... like I tell the wife, "the problem is still out there, your welcome to go fix it. It won't hurt my feelings if you do." ;)