Friday, January 25, 2008

Good News and News to be Somewhat Indifferent About

Good News: I evidently have a "textbook" anatomy. During my ultrasound today, I was asked to stay longer so folks could be trained using my internal organs because of - yes, you guessed it - their inherent and stunning beauty. Four Corpsmen were allowed to transduce my midsection and marvel at my beautiful liver, my very large aorta and IVC, my lovingly crafted pancreas, and my perfect and marvelous right kidney. They took several "snapshots" of my organs to use in training. It was rather strange to be so fawned over about internal organs!!

News to be Somewhat Indifferent About: The mystery is solved. In the words of the first ultrasound tech, "Your gall bladder is very sick." In the words of the Radiologist, "Your gall bladder is seriously jacked up." He said that he is surprised that I walked into the clinic on my own power. He was floored when I told him I'd been having problems for five months. They were amazed that amidst all this internal perfection, my gall bladder stuck out like the drunk girl at the prom with its thick walls, clogged hepatic ducts, and constant state of contraction. Everyone agreed that I will be much happier without it.

I'll be talking to my Internal Medicine guy on Tuesday and I guess we'll be deciding to get rid of that black spot on my internal perfection!!!

10 comments:

Jen said...

WOO HOO!!!

I'm glad they've finally figured out what's going on. Took long enough!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that junkin' this "jacked up" organ makes your body work better.
:)
YEA!

David said...

Seems things do come in threes.

First the wife, then Jen and now you are having an organ removed.

I hope it's an easy procedure that won't keep you down for long... Whoa, hold on, on second thought maybe a long rest at home with the feet up would be just what the doctor should order ;)

Daughter of Night said...

Jen, the consensus seems to be that I will be much happier without it. But, currently, here I am in the same boat in which i started, except that now my pain has a name but no evidently forthcoming solution.

RT, I would love to take five or six weeks off for this, but unfortunatley only have 2 weeks of sick time saved up (it's almost impossible to save up sick time with kids, you know??)

Jen said...

So are they not scheduling it because you can't get the time off?
I don't remember what the recovery time was when I had mine out, but it was done laparoscopically so I assume it wasn't that long.
It sucks that once the damage is done, there really isn't a lot to do except take it out...

David said...

except that now my pain has a name but no evidently forthcoming solution.

I thought removing it is the solution? I say if it's causing you pain and you can live without it, let it go.

:) Sick time? What's that? Oh, that's when you lay in bed throwing up your guts and work calls so much you go in anyway? Just kidding, aren't there exceptions for medical emergencies?

Jen said...

RT, I suspect that Daughter's health plan/work stand and mine are very similar.

If you don't have enough time accrued to (officially) take the leave, they'll generally let you off in an emergency but they won't pay you anything past the PTO you have saved up.
It's impossible to save up the PTO when you have kids at home that need rides, get sick, have appointments, and their needs always come before yours so you're forced to use to the PTO you had.
And it's impossible to be off for the month or longer with NO income.

Bastards.

Jen said...

Sorry I'm kinda babbling.
What I was trying to say is they'll probably make the exception for her being off in the case of an emergency (if they're like my work) but it won't matter if they give you the time or not, if they're not gonna pay you.

It'd be nice if you could stock up PTO faster then the crawling rate we get it in.
:-|

Daughter of Night said...

Jen, I'm hoping for the laparoscopic way as well... word is only three days recovery time. Since my Internal Medicine guy hasn't called me back yet, I don't know what/when the next steps are and just have to wait for the surgery referral or whatever they (in their infinite wisdom) are going to do next. I have a request in for a phone consut with the IM guy this morning, so hopefully he will have some news for me. Let's just assume that the poor organ is still in good enough shape that they can get it out the tiny hole rather than the huge hole.

RT, Jen nailed it - I earn two types of PTO, vacation and sick time, at certain rates per pay period. For example, I earn three weeks per year of vacation, so I earn about 2.5 hours each pay period. I earn two weeks of sick time each year. like Jen said, it's impossible to keep ANY PTO on the books when both parents work and there are kids involved. And because so much of this time I've been a geographically single parent, it's all fallen on me. In essence, the fact that I have about a week of vacation time and about 2 weeks of sick time on the books is an amazing feat in and of itself. :-)

My benefits package says that I am covered for both short-term and long-term disability, but there are no details about how that works. I have no idea if that means that I could feasibly be paid a percentage of my regular pay if I had to be out without having PTO left. We also have a program wherein other people can "donate" sick time or vacation time to me, in four-hour increments, so I don't have to exhaust my leave balances. If I have to opt for the "huge hole" surgery, I may have to access that program in order to get paid.

Anyway, no sense worrying about it now!

Jen said...

So no idea how long it'll be before these Masters of Control get back to you?
That sucks...
They'll be able to do it laparoscopically! I know it. I've got a gut feeling about it (so to speak.)
:)

David said...

Well???? Any news? :|