Sunset at that place
horizon haze red and smoky
as if a great fire burns merrily
just out of sight.
I sit irreverently upon a
painted concrete table
choosing the graffiti I like the best
and crying self-conscious tears.
Couples and dogs walk the jetty
and I watch them for a reaction
sure that somehow the remnants
of cheap cigars and hesitant kisses
will affect them in some visible way
but they are amazingly oblivious.
My loss suddenly defined
and the time strangely reduced
to a scattering of events
that shared a common, but not exact, locality.
To the south, a heartbreak
To the north, a discovery
all encompassed by a well-beaten path
that I have traveled a thousand times.
But now I sit irreverently upon a
painted concrete table
that is still warm from a long-ago embrace
choosing the graffiti I like the best
and crying self-conscious tears.
No comments:
Post a Comment