Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Herald to the Romantically Accountable

It has often been commented that a few fairly common female traits were left out of my makeup at my Creation. I'm not complaining - though others have been known to (but that's another tale...). Listening to people today - on the radio, at work, in cyber-conversation - has re-convinced me that the Valentine's Day peptide was left out of my DNA.

All I can say is: awwwwwwww. Looks like I'm really missing out!!!!

My chemical composition doesn't allow me to expect extraordinary professions of love on this day or any other. If I heard one, I'd first check to make sure it was directed at me, then I'd call the ESU.

I'm physically unable to throw a crying rage because I didn't get flowers. If my Male Spousal Unit forgets Valentine's Day, I could care less. As a matter of fact, he's saved me some money by forgetting and that makes him the Daily Superstar in my book. If he forgets one of our children somewhere, then he'll see a rage.


I'm apparently raising romantically defunct daughters, too, as neither of them brought up Valentine's Day until two days ago when my youngest had to sign up for treats for the class party. This is more proof that I am the worst mother ever.

I'm auspiciously omitted from the breakroom chat about dinner reservations, huge bouquets, racy lingerie, and chocolate. People walking by my cubicle give me little shrugs of pity as they note my shelves that are oh-so-obviously bereft of roses or large cards filled with stock poetry. They then try to include me in the reverently whispered discussions of the MEN WHO FAILED.

This is the one day per year that I don't engage in XY Chromo bashing. I'm sorry, you said your husband didn't wake you up at midnight to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day and stroke your hair until you went back to sleep? You're whining because you got a full night of uninterrupted sleep?? WTF?????

Oh, yeah. You'll note that my tongue is lodged firmly in my cheek when I point out that I definitely need to take some Girl Classes to catch up on this trend.

Men, it may cheer you to hear that for years now, Valentine's Day in my family has been renamed "Gun Day." It's the day, every year, when Mommy get a new gun.

:::::::singing:::::::: Isn't it romantic........??

9 comments:

David said...

LOL, I wish more women saw it this way. I know exactly what you mean about women taking this day to bash men for falling short of all 'their' expectations. I would like to know when a day to celibate love became a day to pamper women. Most of the men I know certainly don't consider flowers, cards and a romantic sit down meal in a fancy restaurant a perfect day or a sign of true love. My son asked if we could make his mom breakfast in bed? I asked the wife why he didn't want to do something for me. She shrugged and said it's Valentines day. WTF? He's already been infected!

A new gun huh? Sounds romantic ;-)

Daughter of Night said...

Cheer up! I posted new pictures!!!

Sorry you didn't get breakfast in bed. :-(

David said...

I don't know what happen last night, I left a comment on your blog but it never showed up. If you didn't get it was such a wonderful comment. It quite eloquently said a few key things about me that you may have missed. It also said that I thought your pictures are great and I'm starting to see the artistic side more and more. I think it said some other wonderful things but I forgot what they were.

If you did get it and it just didn't post then it said; I bitch and moan for the fun of it, don't take me to serious, I'm a big smart ass always remember that and I am starting to see the art in your pictures but I'm still a man and your still quite a woman. :)

Daughter of Night said...

I don't mediate comments, so yours just didn't "take" for some reason. That has happened to me before, too. Grrr.

I'm sorry!

I wish you could recreate it.....?

<3

Daughter of Night said...

Oh, wait a minute... I just got that you did recreate it.... I'm a little slow after work....

:-)

Hey, I thought you always thought the pictures were artistic.....????

:-)LOL

David said...

I did, I do, and I never ever once looked at them in any other way, never...ever... *says this as he backs out of the comment room* :)

Daughter of Night said...

Chicken. ;-)

Marianita said...

Awesome!

Valentine's day is so freakin dumb. Altho my ex and I exchanged presnts and crap like that, we were fine with just cuddling or going to a Steve Miller Band concert (what we did last year!)

I, too, lack many female traits, as many of my friends enjoy pointing out...

Daughter of Night said...

Ah, Marianita, then you are also a perfect candidate for Gun Day!!! :-)