Monday, February 12, 2007

Invisible

For almost four hours, no one noticed I was back from vacation.

For almost four hours, I was able to be just like everyone else.

I was just another faceless officer, slogging away at myriad and nameless administrative tasks; quietly listening to voicemail messages and returning calls regarding emergent issues, sorting through weeks of mail, and trying to make sense of tiny, scattered pieces of other people's lives.

Without interruption, I completed a due report in less than 20 minutes. Without the shrill insistence of the phone, I signed and distributed items left for my review. Without the constant and tremendously annoying sound of my name being called over the PA system, I took stock of the damage done during my absence and formed a rudimentary repair and maintenance plan. Without the seemingly eternal stream of personnel wending their way through the cubicles to ask me questions, get my "opinion," implore me to run a record, screen a case, get a recommendation, sign off a training jacket bullet, or cover their duty or their time slot at the Career Fair, I wrote three case plans, issued a warrant, talked an addict into treatment, and empowered a parent.

For four glorious hours, I was allowed to do my job. How I've missed it!!!

4 comments:

David said...

Sounds like 'they' missed you.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if 'they' would just do their jobs and leave us to ours? But that would make too much sense.

Daughter of Night said...

You have a definite tone of fatalism to your posts and comments lately. Everything all right?

Tell me what I can do for you.

??

<3

David said...

Thanks but I'm fine

I'm just trying to stay true to my raw thoughts blogging code. Honesty if it kills me :)

Kills - maybe not the right word to use when someone uses fatalism to describe you comments :o

I wrote the above comment when 'they' the four people hanging out in my office were wasting my time and keeping me from doing my job. Didn't mean it to sound so harsh. I like 'they' I would just like to see a little less of 'them'.

What can you do for me? Just keep being you, that's plenty :))

Daughter of Night said...

"I like 'they," I would just like to see a little less of 'them.""

Truer words have never been spoken. :-)

Okay, I won't worry about you, then. ;-) Thanks for easing my little mind.