Saturday, November 17, 2007

Curiosity Killed the Cat (and a few others)

I've realized that I am often a victim of my own curiosity.

The fact that I'm naturally really nosy is one of the reasons I'm so good at my job (on the rare occasions that I get to actually do my job, that is). I like to research things. I enjoy digging up stuff. I really get off on getting up in people's grilles. My dream job has always been "Basement Hag" at the CIA... you know, the research person that everyone has to come to, but no one really wants to because she works in a dark, creepy basement and mutters to herself all the time and never brushes her hair. Yes, that is my dream.

Anyway, the Internet has given a whole new dimension to my nosiness. I can find out all kinds of things on the Net! Don't believe me? Google your own name and see what you come up with. Google your address, your significant other's name, your driver's license number, your hometown. Google your telephone number. Reverse search your cell phone number. Each search will open up even more avenues to nosiness. The Internet is a beautiful thing.

Here's the thing, though: I generally find things (if I'm really looking) that I didn't really want to know. Not necessarily with work searches (in that situation, I pretty much want to know everything, even if it's ugly), but with personal searches and research, I often find things that haunt me. Things that prove that if you give people an opportunity to suck, they will usually take it and run with it. Things that allow me to second-guess myself and my judgment. Things that make me sad, suspcicious, and incredulous. Things that enable me to be even less trusting than I already am.

Ok, so I deserve it, right? That's what I get for being so nosy, right?? Of course I do and of course it is. The infamous "they" say that "ignorance is bliss," and sometimes "they" are absolutely right.

3 comments:

David said...

LOL, You don't brush your hair?

Give it up now, what kind dirt have you dug up and on who? Give us the GOOD stuff. It's not nice to blog and not tell!

I've always thought, if you go looking for something don't be surprised when you find it. So I agree with you... you get what you get. :)

On a side note I must be the most boring person in the world. I googled myself and nada... zip... zilch.

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daughter of Night said...

LOL, RT... really, the situation that sparked this entry wasn't really all that "dirty..."

It was just another epiphany, you know?

:-)