Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Even More Updates!

Update: Fast-Pitch Softball season has begun!! Whoo-hoo!!

Update: I have an appointment with the General Surgery Department tomorrow at 0930. While making the appointment, the Corpsman who was helping me made it a point to say that this is only for an exam, and "may not result in surgery." I'm not sure what that means... does it mean "might not result in surgery THAT DAY?" Does it mean "might not result in surgery AT ALL?" Does it mean "might not result in surgery FOR AWHILE?" I am sure this, and many other mysteries will be revealed during tomorrow's appointment. Just in case, I completed all my reports through February, did my stats, and prepared a case summary for each of my clients so other officers can wade their way through my business should I not return for a while.

Update: I had a mammogram last week and was called by the Breast Health Clinic at the Hospital yesterday. Anyone familiar with the "Navy Way" of medicine knows that mail = good, phone = bad. Only this time, phone = "questionable," not necessarily bad. They are going to do another mammo before they give me any bad news. So, since I was going to be at the Hospital tomorrow anyway, I asked if I could get in. They said they didn't have any appointments available until March 3, then put me on hold for a few minutes. When the Clinical nurse Manager, Deb, came back on the line, she told me to come in right at 0800 tomorrow and they would get me in. And all I could think was: Hmmmmm. But just in case anyone hasn't caught this from earlier sentiments posted on this blog, I am DONE with breast issues. As I said to a friend today, this time I'll just tell them to take them both - and any ancillary tissue they can get their sterile little fingers on - and I'll get beautiful tattoos to cover the scars. I AM DONE.

Hoepfully that won't be necessary. It's probably just a glitch or something they couldn't see very well.

Update: Every single lymph node on my right side is swollen. Some of them you can actually see from the outside. I have no idea what this means.

Update: Still no transfer or promotion! Go figure!

Summary of All Updates: I'm a flippin' mess. How the heck did the wheels fall off the wagon so quickly?? I'm really looking forward to having all of this resolved so I can go back to enjoying really good health, a strong constitution, and an attitude befitting a human being. I'm also starting to feel like 5 weeks off work - even recovering from full abdominal surgery - might not be such a bad thing, even if I do have to beg for donated sick time.

And oh by the way, I'm kinda scared too. Not that there's really any reason to be, I just am. And I hate being scared just about as much as I hate to vomit. Show me the enemy so I can fight it, for God's sake! I'm sick of all this nebulous "maybe" crap.

6 comments:

David said...

OMG! I don't even know what to say. It scared me just reading it. You have every right to be scared. You wouldn't be human if you weren't. I hope they resolve both issues soon, for your sake and mine.

I would hope if the mammogram was something serious they would have scheduled something right away. Since they didn't I see that as a good sign.

Why are doctors the first to say early detection is the best cure, then put you off for early detection test? Bastards!

Seriously, I will be praying for you. I doubt I have much pull with the big guy but that won't stop me from throwing my two cents in on this subject. It's all I can do. :(

(((((Amber))))

Jen said...

*type*
*delete*
*type type type*
*delete*

There isn't any good sentence to embody the sympathy I feel. Or the fear.
I'll start at the top and work my way down.

-I'm not sure that I've ever cared about "Fat-Pitch softball" but seeing the exclamation points after your statement I'm a little interested. ;)

-I think "may not result in surgery" means that it probably won't result in surgery tomorrow. If they didn't give that disclaimer lots of people would end the appointment with irritation because they expected an immediate fix.
They're gonna fix it for you! They have to. There's no other option then to take that bad boy out.
Hopefully sooner then later.

-What is there to say about this? Jesus. No one should ever have to go through this roller coster of fear, EVER. (Especially not someone I care about, says the selfish part of me.)
I can understand why you'd tell them to take it all, if the worst is whats in store for you. I can understand it and I'll help you look through tattoos until you find the perfect one.
With or without breast tissue, you are beautiful!! You have a fantastic personality and we love you!
(If it was me, hearing that wouldn't make me any less scared of what might be but we'll be here no matter what.)
Having typed all that out, we're probably talking about a spot they couldn't see clearly because of a malfunction. That's what I'm going to think until I hear differently.

-Bastards. It's not surprising since we knew before today that the people you work for are definitely not the supportive type. But still, bastards!

-I can totally see why you're scared. I'm scared and I'm 2322.29 miles away from this nightmare your living.
I don't think any rational person could take all the things that are being thrown at you, and not be scared!
It sucks that when life starts being hard, it's hard all at once.
:(

{{{{{A}}}}}

Anonymous said...

Lets hope things go well for you,if it comes down to sheer grit and determination then there is no contest.

Daughter of Night said...

LOL, RT - they DID schedule it right away. I had the regular annual mammo on the 25th. ;-)

But it's all good! Something to watch, but nothing to worry about. :-)

Jen - you were right. No surgery until the 15th. And you will definitely be my personal consult when and if it's ever time to look for that tattoo. I was thinking two fighting dragons in a mythical forest. :-)

Quaddie - thanks so much. I'm blushing, actually. :-) Glad you're here!!

Jen said...

I think the dragons would be spectacular. You can keep the boobies, and we can put them elsewhere on you.

That's a win/win situation!
*wink*

Anonymous said...

I have only been stalking you so far :) ,but i felt some support was due.