Every year I swear I'm not going to go overboard at the holidays.
This year, I even went as far as to notify all family members that they would each receive ONE present and one present only this year. Plus stockings, of course.
Well, today I am (penultimately) finished with Christmas shopping, and DAMN if I didn't manage to STILL spend over $2K.
Tama: I planned in advance for her gift, because it's something she needs (and wants). $800.
Isabeau: I planned in advance for her gift as well, but given the cost of Tama's gift, I really feel like I have to get her something else. Her gift so far: $50.
MSU: One gift turned into 5. $270.
Steven: His gift is my Springfield Armory MilSpec 1911. Original cost: $900. I will give it to him and then take it away to send it to the factory for hard chroming. $200 plus about $100 for shipping.
Sandra and Jon: I almost didn't get them anything, given the the past year has pretty much revolved around them financially. Pewter and glass salt and pepper grinders: $40. Plus the gift for this year's "Sheep Wars" (don't ask): $20.
Brittany: Tough to shop for a kid who's only been with us for a couple of months, but I think she'll be really happy. $80.
MSU's mom: $25. It's a Secret Santa and that's the limit.
The other three family members for Secret Santa that I haven't shopped for yet: $75.
My folks: They never want anything but photographs. Tama's Senior picture reprints: $142. Isabeau's school pictures: $40. Neither of these have arrived yet, so shipping at the last minute: $40.
The Annual Harrison Holiday Sing Starring the Von Crapp Family Singers: At least $400 every year.
Stocking stuffers: socks, underwear, little beauty and grooming items, a tiny digital camera for Isabeau, pink breast cancer chip clips, pink breast cancer chap stick, toothbrushes, dog treats, keychains, small electronic gadgets, etc: $1034.
**sigh**
The good news?
I had a great time shopping. :-)
Friday, November 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Holy. Shit.
I'm glad you were trying not to go overboard!
WoW.
Don't forget the food processor for me!
I could totally get sucked into the same cycle. I'm really starting to enjoy this shopping thing. WAY TOO MUCH.
Ha!
It's the GIRLS! I'm serious! Boys are so easy (and reletively cheap!) I'm CURSED with GIRLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO you have your food processor yet? I can't wait to hear about what you do with it!!
The Annual Harrison Holiday Sing Starring the Von Crapp Family Singers: At least $400 every year. May I inquire about this?
Sounds like it's going to be a VERY merry Christmas for the Daughter house!
My mom trys the one gift for only $50.00 rule. Never works for her either ;)
The Holiday Sing is something we've done every year for 11 years (it's a holiday party, but with music) - I used to make all the guests go out in the neighborhood Cristmas caroling, but it's declined into my kids and I singing at the piano while everyone else drinks Hot Buttered Rum (which I make from scratch - yum). Every once in a while some other guests will sing, but the Holiday Sing is really just another reason to get together at the holidays and make a joyous noise!
The "Von Crapp Family Singers" is just another way of saying "my family." Just a little joke taken from The Sound of Music (remember the Von Trapp Family Singers? We're the Von Crapp Family Singers.)
Today, add some "guilt presents" for Isabeau: $170.
Sheesh!!!!
Post a Comment